Advice on render type

Members online

scoobysnacks

Hi, I wanted a bit of advice please. I have a 240sq.m property that started its life as a solid wall farm workers cottage, over the years its been extended. The new parts are cavity walls, however the old parts are stone walls. Would only a lime render be suitable for this property? I have a contractor starting soon and he is asking for me to decide between sand and cement or k-rend. The property is currently S&C rendered, there is evidence of penetrating damp and the property is exposed - I have hacked off a corner of the render and its wet through, the internal side of the wall is maxing out the damp meter.

Be very grateful of some advice. Thanks

Hi, I wanted a bit of advice please. I have a 240sq.m property that started its life as a solid wall farm workers cottage, over the years its been extended. The new parts are cavity walls, however the old parts are stone walls. Would only a lime render be suitable for this property? I have a contractor starting soon and he is asking for me to decide between sand and cement or k-rend. The property is currently S&C rendered, there is evidence of penetrating damp and the property is exposed - I have hacked off a corner of the render and its wet through, the internal side of the wall is maxing out the damp meter.

if you were going to go lime on your stone walls you will need to remove the cement 1st. which is where your damp would be coming from...

that is if you wanted the traditional look.
a modern look you could go for a ewi system.but more money than a render only option

I agree with earlier advise that impermeable sand and cement need to be removed first in order to avoid moisture build up in solid walls. If you do not want to insulate, breathable Vimark's Monochrome could be a reasonable solution: https://www.vimark.co.uk/products/one-coat-render-mortar-mono-chrome/ Alternatively you could consider highly breathable Bauwer insulation with Vimark's Arenino VK2 breathable finish.

Great, thanks for the advice. The plan was always to remove all the render from all walls first.

I hadn't considered insulated render but have just read through the links you posted and I am now interested. The only problem is the firm I am using only offer sand and cement or k-rend (I feel loyalty to them as I have scheduled them in to start next week). Judging by your advice, and a bit of homework I assume neither of these options are suitable for my house?

Apologies, just re-read my post back. I meant solid brick walls not stone walls. No cavity. The current sand and cement render has cracked and blown in places, not sure this is from movement or lack of maintenance.