Aquapanel with sand+cement

solway

Doing a job for a builder in a 1930's house. Old brick walls with lime render on them in a big old "conservatory". Customer wants walls done in sand+cement,sponge finish. Builder has an idea of fixing on aqua panel boards,fill joints with filler and mesh,scud coat with sbr and then float finish. I'm a bit sceptical. Any other way to get a sponge finish but with a lighter material and 1 that will last....

on render carrier board, you need a thin coat system. scrim joints, base coat with full scrim. then a top coat of base coat it rubs up a treat.

Doing a job for a builder in a 1930's house. Old brick walls with lime render on them in a big old "conservatory". Customer wants walls done in sand+cement,sponge finish. Builder has an idea of fixing on aqua panel boards,fill joints with filler and mesh,scud coat with sbr and then float finish. I'm a bit sceptical. Any other way to get a sponge finish but with a lighter material and 1 that will last....

Hello Solway

As Malc has said above, you really do not want to put a s&c coat direct to any board as a board and render solution.

It is, as Malc stated, best to leave a small gap between the boards, then embed a joint filler between the boards and tape them up. Then apply a modern thin coat basecoat and mesh layer to the boards, to bind them all together. There are then various options for finishing, but modern finished are more flexible and less likely to crack than a S&C coat

Feel free to contact me for more assistance, if you like

All the best
Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Technical Manager
Rlord@knauf.co.uk