1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Band of sticky plaster

Discussion in 'The Place To Meet And Say Hello' started by Peterson 89, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Peterson 89

Peterson 89 New Member

Hi, I have been steaming paper off of the bedroom wall recently exposing perfectly dry plaster...no problem. I go back to it in a couple of days and discover a damp sticky band about 15 inches wide running from floor to ceiling. Oddly follows exactly the line of a wallpaper strip. Scraped away a section of the affected plaster and found it to be dry beneath. Three days on its still there. So can anyone tell me what it is and how to deal with it. Been told it could be an existing damp problem that has reacted once the strip of wall paper was removed. Sounds plausible. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. raggles

raggles Private Member

how old is the house and what's on the other side of that wall

3. beader

beader Private Member

That's ectoplasm ............your house is haunted :frio:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. JessThePlasterer

JessThePlasterer Well-Known Member

looks odd position for damp. I'd hack it off and see if the bricks are dry underneath

• Like Like x 2
  5. Smudger1

Smudger1 Well-Known Member

Stick a moisture meter in it ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Maybe an old switch that has been patched with the wrong plaster?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. JessThePlasterer

Oh I know !! It's rising damp!!! :rayos:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

I have actually found the real source of so called rising damp and it's so simple :)

9. JessThePlasterer

Please, enlighten me!

10. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

I think my life would be in danger :( I noticed something on a job last week that got me thinking so putting my findings together ;)

11. JessThePlasterer

Is it secret squirrel? o_O ;)

12. Deri

Deri Active Member

Secret damp is going to be the new rising damp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Get damp meter. Cheap enough

14. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

It will only tell him what's his eyes and nose tell him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stevieo

Stevieo Active Member

Is that an internal wall?

If it's internal and there's no pipes, then you must have somehow steamed water into the plaster. Might be a bit of bonding or something there.

Leave it to dry for a few days and happen that'll be the end of it.

16. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

To me it looks like old chimney has been took out , 1920s ish building judging by the paints on the old painted bits

17. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

No. It could be dry and just some glue used to stick down the paper. I'm not convinced it water but a £10 damp meter say one way or another.

18. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

They are bullshit metres :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. beader

beader Private Member

They are used to read the moisture content wood only and have nothing to do with damp in walls FYI.

20. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Clearly that is a hollow wall and a previous occupant has chained his spouse/ lover/friend/ enemy up and walled them in....what you have there is all their bodily fluids that pooled after their slow agonising death, and that has been drawn up into the plaster.
    Obvious really.......

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

£8.99 works on masonry, plaster and wood. You saying is won't work? See here

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. beader

beader Private Member

They are a scare tool used by the damp industry . Do your research ,google is your friend .

• Agree Agree x 1