Best suited plastering course.

Baslod75

Good afternoon.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times. I'm looking to go on a plastering course which hopefully involves rendering and all else which involves in this line of work.

Although I've been in the building trade for the last 15 yrs maybe more it's something on my bucket list that I'd like to try and hopefully be alright at it 'enough for me to carry on future home projects.

The only worry I have is turning up and making myself look a right sally if I completely mess it up.

I'm hoping for a 10 day one, hopefully with the trainers who're happy to take their time on the students but push them all the same.

I've read a few reviews but can't see much regarding 10 day courses, its more 6 week reviews and people looking for qualifications.

I'd also like to know whether anyone else on here with no previous plastering experience has entered a course as a novice and achieved what he hoped for.

I've seen Able Skills, Goldtrowel & APC and looking at one of these but hoping for the one that brings the best results.

Thanks

Out of all the courses out there GoldTrowel have the best feedback... @Lodan can also testify..

10 days wont be long enough not by a long shot but it will give you an idea of what is what :D

Goldtrowel sounds your best bet. Where are you? Have you watched any plastering videos on YouTube? You might find it cheaper to watch the whole RWF0067 catalogue. Shows you a step by step guide to plastering.

the more time you have on the tools the better :D bit like your driving test :D you dont actually start to learn to drive until you pass your test :D

Goldtrowel sounds your best bet. Where are you? Have you watched any plastering videos on YouTube? You might find it cheaper to watch the whole RWF0067 catalogue. Shows you a step by step guide to plastering.

I was a plasterers labourer a few yr back for a yr before becoming a Dryliner but unfortunately at the time never got to get on the trowel so I sort of know what to do in terms of what intails in it all, but laying it on I'm sure is a different story all together.

It's just time on the trowel. You don't even think about it, like changing gear in a car. If it's just for your own place learn from RWF0067.

It's just time on the trowel. You don't even think about it, like changing gear in a car. If it's just for your own place learn from RWF0067.

Thanks Jurek I see this chap when I was floating though YouTube. I'll have a proper look at his videos.

I was a plasterers labourer a few yr back for a yr before becoming a Dryliner but unfortunately at the time never got to get on the trowel so I sort of know what to do in terms of what intails in it all, but laying it on I'm sure is a different story all together.

ah you are not a complete newbie then :D

Lodan did the Goldtrowel course. I think he's been taken on as an apprentice by Vincey, so it is a way in.

Thanks Danny. Hopefully Laden see it and reply.
In that sense maybe not mate as I've been Drylining yrs. but a complete newbie when it comes to sticking the plaster on the walls And trowelling it up.
Lodan was similar , first thing you gotta have is the plaster factor, do u really want it , there's no beating around the bush your either in it to win it or screwed, do your course and find someone who will start you off on right track if you can't find a start off backup spread you'll crash before you start.

Lodan was similar , first thing you gotta have is the plaster factor, do u really want it , there's no beating around the bush your either in it to win it or screwed, do your course and find someone who will start you off on right track if you can't find a start off backup spread you'll crash before you start.

Thanks Vincey.

What do you mean backup spread?

Thanks Vincey.

What do you mean backup spread?
A plasterer who'll always have your back and start you off , a lot on here have done full apprenticeship tbh I think they thing of past the only way in is to do course for an over view of plastering but you then have to have back up plasterer to get you started in real world

my god you fuucking love yourself.

A plasterer who'll always have your back and start you off , a lot on here have done full apprenticeship tbh I think they thing of past the only way in is to do course for an over view of plastering but you then have to have back up plasterer to get you started in real world

Cheers for the reply Vincey.

I think you've got me mixed up a bit mate, I'm a Dryliner , I'm not wanting to change careers to be a plasterer, the plastering is purely for me particularly as I'm having building work done at the end of the yr and something I'd like to try.

Trust me after lifting boards for 15yrs and spending many of them dodging scaffolding on site, bending and nearly breaking my back I know what the real world looks like mate.

Cheers for the reply Vincey.

I think you've got me mixed up a bit mate, I'm a Dryliner , I'm not wanting to change careers to be a plasterer, the plastering is purely for me particularly as I'm having building work done at the end of the yr and something I'd like to try.

Trust me after lifting boards for 15yrs and spending many of them dodging scaffolding on site, bending and nearly breaking my back I know what the real world looks like mate.

ah if its your own house 10 days will be fine :D Bosh it out :D I would pay a renderer though :D

Thanks Jurek I see this chap when I was floating though YouTube. I'll have a proper look at his videos.
Please don't the guy is a complete tit and put me off rolex or Breitling watches for life sorry guys it's I hate the guys guys aarrrggghhhh :frenetico:

Don't know where you're based, but I can personally recommend 'silver trowel' in Hampshire. The guys that teach are time served plasterers. You get your own bay each with a couple of walls, reveal and small ceiling and you are on the tools from day 1, no sitting around in a classroom for ages first.

There were no more than 5/6 of us at a time when I was there so it was close to 1 on 1 tuition.

We covered rendering as well, you just mix up with lime instead of cement so it can be scraped off the wall the next day to practice again.

I'm still scared of rendering though.

They basically run a 6-week city & guilds but you can do a week, two weeks, 4 weeks etc if you want. Don't have to do it all in one go so you can still earn in between and if you do a week or two and like it, you can pick up where you left off and just pay as you go.

Don't know where you're based, but I can personally recommend 'silver trowel' in Hampshire. The guys that teach are time served plasterers. You get your own bay each with a couple of walls, reveal and small ceiling and you are on the tools from day 1, no sitting around in a classroom for ages first.

There were no more than 5/6 of us at a time when I was there so it was close to 1 on 1 tuition.

We covered rendering as well, you just mix up with lime instead of cement so it can be scraped off the wall the next day to practice again.

I'm still scared of rendering though.

They basically run a 6-week city & guilds but you can do a week, two weeks, 4 weeks etc if you want. Don't have to do it all in one go so you can still earn in between and if you do a week or two and like it, you can pick up where you left off and just pay as you go.

Thank you Cornsack

I'm Essex/Suffolk border mate so either of these pair would suit me better. But cheers anyway