Ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew_Palmer

did a ceiling the other day, spread onto plasterboard.
No probs except -
When wet troweling, the second coat seemed to blister on a couple of small ares and started to 'peel' in small bits. (thats the best i can describe).
Any ideas why. Not had this before.
Was the second coat too thin maybe?

could of been...... the first coat was to thin, set to quickly. so the second coat didnt adhere to the first coat properly causing it to blister, when troweling up.

when i skim plasterboard...... i apply the second coat straight away, sometimes 2coat from same mix.

if it blisters again use more water, to lubricate the surface (one of those spray bottles)

ive had it on jobs aswell lately mate i think it's the time of the year gypsum start playing around with plaster in the factory  ;)............or it could be youre trowel needs wearing in a little more or it could be you as were only as good as youre last job  ;)

see my comment on plastic trowel thread......this is the only way to plaster properly to get a consistant finish

Was it mixed with dirty water from first coat? seen this myself before its nearly impossible to finish the more you work at it the worse it gets i find just walk away from it get the rest of ceiling ok then when hard try finish it

if bubbles , wait and polish it out on dry coat with a bit of force...only way...happens on bonding if not set poperly to

you have let the first coat go off to much, you need to apply the second coat when the first is still a bit soft to the touch rather then let it go hard.

When it starts to peel just put your trowel down and leave it for at least 45 mins then hard trowel with a little water, if you try and trowel it up you'll struggle and it'll peel more and look shite.

Rich Brown

And if you dont its gonna peel like an orange and look shite.

Its not something I do normally but when I have been caught out and its started to peel ive long learned not to get stressed out with it let it set a while then hard trowel it with a little water from my brush.

Rich Brown

i use wet on wet trowel then dry for burnish trowel...add water after this when set and itll shine up surley...and painters will slag u off for shiney work...not that im being picky..lol...cause im never picky

Dont use water at this stage and the work will look shite.

Never had a painter say a bad word yet mate only the opposite

Rich B

all good then ....sorry maybe i was getting confused ..thought u were saying wet trowel after dry burnish trowel...my error fella

I reckon the 'plasterers manual' should have the words "DONT PANIC!" across the cover...
and the first page should be...
"theres no such word as can't"...
thing is, as plasterers were always striving for the perfect finish, which is open to interpretation..
mine is 'flat and smooth to the touch, looks good when painted with 1 mist coat and 2 normal coats'
and unless the painters spraying it on and polishing it up between coats its never gonna be as smooth as when it was trowelled up...

my old decorators always sand evrything ...doesnt matter of what type of finish it was from anyone..then mist and sand between coats.....they were bloody expensive...but a dam fine finish...old skool ways i suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.