Cracks in wet plaster as it dries.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazp

Hello again

I skimmed the window reveals in my bathroom (North facing) yesterday and noticed that cracks appeared in the 2nd coat multi-finish plaster as it was drying - these were quite big and even though I troweled them out, they did reappear later.

I took a look this morning and the cracks have returned.

Before I re-skim, does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this as I've never seen it before.

Thanks

Mate Ive had it happen before on Tacky PVA, usually the WICKES PVA, it has a reaction with the finish causing it to 'craze' whilst still weat, bit of a ****, have to let it go off a fair bit before trowelling it or it just drags and brings the PVA to the surface. Only ever had it happen on the first coat though, second coat shouldnt have the reactiong as first coat has bridged the gap between PVA and second coat!

Thanks for the feedback guys - It was Wickes PVA and although I have used it a few times before, I have never come across this problem.
Anyway, I reskimmed and all is looking good now.

FYI - I did the first coat when the PVA was tacky (not wet) and the surface was that grey stuff (previously tiled) and it did have some remnants of tile adhesive on the wall.

Thanks again - all looking good...

Hi

My original post was this a few weeks ago:

=======================================
I skimmed the window reveals in my bathroom (North facing) yesterday and noticed that cracks appeared in the 2nd coat multi-finish plaster as it was drying - these were quite big and even though I troweled them out, they did reappear later.

I took a look this morning and the cracks have returned.

Before I re-skim, does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this as I've never seen it before.

Thanks
=======================================

Anyways...I have now painted the area and this has happened (See pic). I did two mist coats and 2 'normal'.
The cracks are quite small (50p for scale) but all over the reveals.
Any ideas?
Thanks
photo-6.jpg

Yes. The plaster was 'crack free' when it was first painted.
BTW I did use Wickes PVA pre plastering.

I was gonna suggest may be a prob with the paint, I've seen it happen when different paints are used, think matt emulsion over silk can cause it, but if it's on to bare plaster then could you have painted successive coats befor previous had fully dried? Paint to thick?sudden drop in temp? Humidity etc has it only happend on one area of the new plaster? Sorry could be one of many reasons mate, none definate:RpS_crying:

Confusing one that,I only use wickes pva,never had any problems with it.maybe something in the old surface you plastered over reacted somehow?

For feck sake get a grip.
If the plastering is crack free and then the paint crazes, then it's a decorating problem, so you're on the wrong forum mate.

If the plastering is crack free and then the paint crazes, then it's a decorating problem, so you're on the wrong forum mate.

It wasn't Andy........according to his first post. Then Fatarm asked him about the background and he forgot to answer him :RpS_thumbup:

Sorry andy! Think the op is plasterer and painter? Just tryin to help him out.:RpS_blushing:

It wasn't Andy........according to his first post. Then Fatarm asked him about the background and he forgot to answer him :RpS_thumbup:

Sorry Bubs I hadn't read the whole thing, my bad.
My guess, and it is only a guess is that it was a "hot" angle due to sunlight and the skim was on to thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.