Daub/lime infill panels in timber frame.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

I've got to do a quote for sealing the edges of some daub panels. The building was 'restored' 5 - 10 years ago with some decent timber repair sections scarfed in and the brick infills returned to daub, looks to be lime over something, probably fibre board.

They had a company who explained to them that the panels needed re-sealing every year, using mastic. o_O :eek:

Before I quote them for raking that sh1t out and caulking it with oakum as it should have been, I wondered if anyone knew of a gun product that is suitable? I don't know of anything, but materials technology moves on so thought maybe something new was available.

Failing that it'll be Stockholm oiled hemp a-go-go. (y)

Haven't used it personally but have been on jobs where the carpenters where using this stuff. It sealed up nicely and looks good. It's just strange that it's acrylic so it stays soft. I recommend masking to avoid a time consuming cleanup if you aren't exceptionally neat.

https://www.permachink.com/log-sealants/perma-chink

Thanks for that, I'll offer it as an alternative if it prices up cheaper. The caulking will last for decades, but it'll be pricey as there's a fair bit to do.

This is the building, so you can see how many panels there are. Nice job to do though, pick a warm day and just chill. (y)

DJI_0039c.jpg

Thanks for that, I'll offer it as an alternative if it prices up cheaper. The caulking will last for decades, but it'll be pricey as there's a fair bit to do.

This is the building, so you can see how many panels there are. Nice job to do though, pick a warm day and just chill. (y)

View attachment 19025

Looks like a nice job. Now that I've seen it I don't think I would go the route I recommended. It might still work but it is mainly for log cabin/timer frame construction where you are filling between irregular lumber. The rustic style is popular here in the mountains so we come across that fairly often.

Acrylic finish would still work and I think it could look great but it's not the historic lime plaster method either. Dryvit makes a product I've used with good success I would trust on a project like that.

http://www.dryvit.ca/products/textured-finishes/freestyle/

I'm sure there is something comparable over there. I hear you have Parex there and they make very comparable stuff.

I'm sure you know this but like all acrylics, you have to be careful in the sun/wind to make sure you get a consistent finish but since it's all smallish panels there you should be fine. Looks like a sweet job. Would be a fun one to do. Send some pics as you go!

Looks like a nice job. Now that I've seen it I don't think I would go the route I recommended. It might still work but it is mainly for log cabin/timer frame construction where you are filling between irregular lumber. The rustic style is popular here in the mountains so we come across that fairly often.

Acrylic finish would still work and I think it could look great but it's not the historic lime plaster method either. Dryvit makes a product I've used with good success I would trust on a project like that.

http://www.dryvit.ca/products/textured-finishes/freestyle/

I'm sure there is something comparable over there. I hear you have Parex there and they make very comparable stuff.

I'm sure you know this but like all acrylics, you have to be careful in the sun/wind to make sure you get a consistent finish but since it's all smallish panels there you should be fine. Looks like a sweet job. Would be a fun one to do. Send some pics as you go!

The only way to do it and get it 'right' will be with oakum, but that'll be expensive compared to using a gun product. Up to now it's had fresh mastic each year which doesn't work for obvious reasons, and looks sh1t. So I'll give them two prices for a linear metre of timber to rake/cut out the mastic joints and in fill the gaps.

I'll get some pictures of the mastic joints and whatever ends up replacing it.

The only way to do it and get it 'right' will be with oakum, but that'll be expensive compared to using a gun product. Up to now it's had fresh mastic each year which doesn't work for obvious reasons, and looks sh1t. So I'll give them two prices for a linear metre of timber to rake/cut out the mastic joints and in fill the gaps.

I'll get some pictures of the mastic joints and whatever ends up replacing it.

I'm hoping 'mastic' is something different than what it is here. We use mastic as a glue for tile/carpet on interior, low moisture areas only. (Even then it's viewed as a cheapo solution for people who don't want to pony up for thinset and are trying to cut corners.) The buckets are great to get for wash out buckets though. Nice and short. :)

I'm hoping 'mastic' is something different than what it is here. We use mastic as a glue for tile/carpet on interior, low moisture areas only. (Even then it's viewed as a cheapo solution for people who don't want to pony up for thinset and are trying to cut corners.) The buckets are great to get for wash out buckets though. Nice and short. :)

mastic here is like a silicone sealer :D

Well I'll take a flying fcuk at a rolling doughnut. They went for the oakum option. :eek:

Clearly I should've priced it higher, but I thought I'd gone over the top a bit as it was. Still, it makes a nice change to get someone who wants it done properly with the right materials.

Congrats on landing the job. Take some pics as you go. I'd love to see em.

I will, it'll be a good before during and after thing for the web site. Sh1tty mastic, then oakum, then lime mortar or putty to stop the birds pecking it out.