Dimmer keeps blowing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamruairi

Any advice is much appreciated. I have a new light fitted, 10 x E27 40watt filament bulbs. Its this one: 10 Lights - Edison Chandelier Pendant Lamp Ceiling Light Bulbs Remote Control | eBay

I have now fitted 5 dimmer switches and not found one that works. Leading edge dimmers buzz really loud and trailing edge ones keep blowing. I bought a 400w varilight remote dimmer which worked lovely, then i turned it on once (full brighness) and it blew. I thought i needed an over-capacity dimmer so bought the same but 600w version (max light fixture watt is 400 - 10x 40w bulbs) and same thing happpened. Worked dimmed for few hours, turned off, then on again at full brightness and it blew. What am i doing wrong? Do i need an even bigger capacity like a 1000w dimmer?

thanks for advice!
liam

Hmmmmm liam i am not sure how much good advice you are going to get... there are a few sparks on here but still we are primarily a plastering forum

well ! if you take light fitting out ,then push cables back inside hole cut a piece of plasterboard to the exact measurement of the hole, tap it in with a hammer to the depth of 3mm then skim it ! problem solved....

The wattage when you first turn on the lights may be more than 40 ws each hence blowing the switch , try a 1000 if they are not dear .... If it blows you have obviously wired something wrong or the lights you have bought are not dimable ones ? And if the 1000 does blow get a sparky to have a look or if the 1000 are dear get a sparky to look now and scrap the 1000w idea .......

Status
Not open for further replies.