Does anyone use Marshaltown strat to finish

Get your mt sharper. And u will get a brilliant finish with it. The s*p*r*lex trowels don't make the finish better. Just easy on the arm for the last trowel.
My old mt extralite skimming trowel was sharp as f**k, left a brilliant finish. Was sad when toe bent on it. Was like a s*p*r*lex the sharpness of it. Firmer though.

All this new stuff about. Does anyone use a Marshalltown trowel from start to finish. Haven’t got into the NELA or speedskim yet. Am I missing out. If it was your own house would you use it.
Let’s look at this objectively and forget all the old school b*ll***s , look around at all the old age plasterers over 45 years that have used one trowel all there lives then find one that hasn’t got a bad back or mashed up shoulder or permanent ligaments damage in there arms , then think how would they of been in retirement if they of had what is available now, I know what I’d do.

I just read what I wrote. U would think I know what I was talking about. Lol
IMG_6289.JPG
I managed to get this sneaky photo through his bedroom window of @theclemo - you can see him in his natural habitat the bed, he's resting after a heavy session (not drinking - but swatting) You can see him surrounded by plastering books - on the left side he even has a set of BS Code of Practice for External Rendering 1991. He in fact doesn't really think plastering is G**....he loves plastering!

Let’s look at this objectively and forget all the old school b*ll***s , look around at all the old age plasterers over 45 years that have used one trowel all there lives then find one that hasn’t got a bad back or mashed up shoulder or permanent ligaments damage in there arms , then think how would they of been in retirement if they of had what is available now, I know what I’d do.
Well you found him

Bet he has running around rooms like site spread Fred

the beauty of site spreading on price as you get older you get wiser ......
until my flex broke again !!
god knows how i skimmed with mts years ago.
1 coated downstairs ceilings on 3 bed house approx 30/40m
with a trowel that wouldnt cut scrim.
somehow i pulled it off.

Attachments

• 20171027_160413.jpg
    20171027_160413.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 384
Been using mts from start to finish for over 30 years with no complaints , few aches and pains but hey that's just wear and tear was given a nela flex gold a few months ago still in the box mostly external work at the moment, I've never used any other trowel so can't compare but if there's any thing better than an Mt carbon for that final rub I will try it out .

my s*p*r*lex got dropped and is now no good so thought i,d treat myself to an mt permaflex,
hope this one lasts so long as i dont drop it.

PERMASHAPE FINISHING TROWELS
The Difference between Steel, Stainless Steel Trowels & Gold Stainless Steel Trowels

• Steel - Will rust if not taken care of properly but far superior to stainless in keeping a sharp edge.

• Stainless Steel - Has a high resistance to corrosion/rust but can lose its shape and develop a bend over time, this is not a problem as it is just a case of getting use to the leading edge of the trowel being further away from the wall.

• Gold Stainless Steel - A Gold Stainless Steel trowel will not distort and bend as easily and has a high resistance to corrosion/rust.

Marshalltown dura shape and perma shape are a pile of wank!! The Extralite however is the best trowel on the planet but take an age to break in unless you do plenty of sand cement work too. I use s*p*r*lex (Refina) skimming after chucking on with my MT because as @Vincey correctly points out after 30 years doing this it takes it's toll on your body. Having problems with my right elbow for some time and giving 4 trowels with an MT everyday would make it worse in no time

Marshalltown dura shape and perma shape are a pile of wank!! The Extralite however is the best trowel on the planet but take an age to break in unless you do plenty of sand cement work too. I use s*p*r*lex (Refina) skimming after chucking on with my MT because as @Vincey correctly points out after 30 years doing this it takes it's toll on your body. Having problems with my right elbow for some time and giving 4 trowels with an MT everyday would make it worse in no time

Same with me except my shoulder gets painful too now, apparently it is compensating for the elbow ffs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same with me except my shoulder gets painful too now, apparently it is compensating for the elbow ffs!

Get an eze spat sorry putz spat mega help regard ceilings @Plastersers1stopshop you owe me big time

Marshy i use xtralites straight out the box never had to break them in

Xtralites are damn good trowels.ive been sand cementing for a few month with a nela premium and once u get used to the rigidness of it, it's a nice trowel. Nearly sharp enough to try it skimming. Still think next new one will be back to a xtralite again.

Xtralites are damn good trowels.ive been sand cementing for a few month with a nela premium and once u get used to the rigidness of it, it's a nice trowel. Nearly sharp enough to try it skimming. Still think next new one will be back to a xtralite again.
Extalites slightly wider tho better regard reveals etc

Extalites slightly wider tho better regard reveals etc
That, my good man, is the exact reason I will he going back to an xtralite, as was doing bands and rubbed up reveals, and the vent on the window below the head meant the nela couldn't reach the back of the head. Had to use the toe of the trowel to coat it. Or skin knuckles trying. Lol

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s worth leaving it in the box till it goes hard again!

Well i dont have a choice as i only skim aint done no sand and cement for ten years

First coat with a 14 inch MT. Flatten with a 32 inch Refina spat. Second with same trowel. Quick run of the spat again. Two trowels of the MT.
A quick polish off with 14 inch Nela media flex.
Now this is with Skim coat plaster in Ireland. 2.5 to 3 hours a set.