Doing a self build..

Alright chaps :)

My plan this year is to do a self build... still need to find a plot and what not and work out what mortgages and all that it was wondering if any of you guys have done one before and if you have any tips and tricks...

Still at the early stages but we have talked about it for a while with my good lady and we are both on the understanding of what we want out of it....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My plan this year is to do a self build... still need to find a plot and what not and work out what mortgages and all that it was wondering if any of you guys have done one before and if you have any tips and tricks...

Still at the early stages but we have talked about it for a while with my good lady and we are both on the understanding of what we want out of it....

Are you building to live in or to rent or sell?

Something I'd love to do also, the expensive part is buying the land, unless you can buy an old bungalow, normally a larger plot.

Mate, I'm not blowing my own trumpet here, but I am an expert on self-builds.
Been involved for years, and I can help you from start to finish...........:)

I watch all the grand designs..........all the amazing spaces........the best shed show and location location..........:p.......Lol

i have done self build several times, purchase a plot, get a bank loan for the build, at completion swap the bank loan for a mortgage. make sure you have all the finance in place before you start.

when you have found a plot and before you make the purchase carry out a soil test, best quality if you hit ballast or iron stone at a metre deep. pile drive or a raft foundation will be to expensive for a single build. if it is a developer selling find out why? he has done the maths and it is not worth the trouble. find out were the services are these cost a fortune. on a single build you can not compete with the big time developer but you will have a property that you helped to design in a non estate position. a new build is a simple build after you have done the first one.

Second what malc said about soil test. Worked for a builder who was nearly ruined because cost of foundations on a project spiralled way off estimate.

Something I'd love to do also, the expensive part is buying the land, unless you can buy an old bungalow, normally a larger plot.

this happens a lot round our way but where people do it is on a nice estate but the speed bumps are brutal and so this is not really an option...

Mate, I'm not blowing my own trumpet here, but I am an expert on self-builds.
Been involved for years, and I can help you from start to finish...........:)

I watch all the grand designs..........all the amazing spaces........the best shed show and location location..........:p.......Lol

lol I have watched the very same :D I am still lost :D The hardest part is the land :D

lol I have watched the very same :D I am still lost :D The hardest part is the land :D
Go north. Land is cheaper. If I'm not mistaken some planning rules allow for redevelopment of an existing building, without complete demolition....so that's an option......what about a passive house, or one of those "kit" houses from Germany......or,....Alaska.....loads of self build there

I'd advise straw bale build and whatever you end up doing you'd want the best plasterer you can afford..

You got my number :numberone:

I'd advise straw bale build and whatever you end up doing you'd want the best plasterer you can afford..

You got my number :numberone:
There ya go , get the land and materials and we'll all rock up for a build fest! Piece of piss!.....
What we don't actually know we can "YouTube".....dead easy.....you'll be in by Christmas :whistle:

As Malc said after you got your plot you can get a bridging loan, then you can refinance when the build is done, bridging only a year long and % is is much higher than a normal everyday mortgage. Get a good mortgage adviser, it might cost you a few Bob but can offer more than high street lenders.
Have a gander on property tribes, I'm sure there's some threads there regarding self build on the finance side.
If you in the position to purchase the plot for cash, do it with delayed completion or subject to planning that way you less likely to lose out and can give you a peace of mind.
You planning staying local or moving somewhere else?

Go north. Land is cheaper. If I'm not mistaken some planning rules allow for redevelopment of an existing building, without complete demolition....so that's an option......what about a passive house, or one of those "kit" houses from Germany......or,....Alaska.....loads of self build there

we did a timber frame kit from Finland a grand design type of build. the whole floor was open with a box section in the middle, this housed the folding walls, you could pull out which wall you needed to make up a room as large or as small as required. loads of glass imported from usa, to keep the heat in . no plastering ,just a floor screed over a 400 mm thick timber floor. this is an annex to a large house for weekend sailors.

I did one 14 years ago and loved it, did to a very high spec,think off a budget and triple lol.
I've redone loads of old places for myself, give me a old place full of character any day of the week, and you get more land

That is actually the plan... passive would be ideal... I am also up for a kit house...

I did one 14 years ago and loved it, did to a very high spec,think off a budget and triple lol.
I've redone loads of old places for myself, give me a old place full of character any day of the week, and you get more land
Yup I want a super clean modern house... 6 bed garage would be my dream ;-)

As Malc said after you got your plot you can get a bridging loan, then you can refinance when the build is done, bridging only a year long and % is is much higher than a normal everyday mortgage. Get a good mortgage adviser, it might cost you a few Bob but can offer more than high street lenders.
Have a gander on property tribes, I'm sure there's some threads there regarding self build on the finance side.
If you in the position to purchase the plot for cash, do it with delayed completion or subject to planning that way you less likely to lose out and can give you a peace of mind.
You planning staying local or moving somewhere else?
Yeah got a great mortgage guy who who looks after my mate who is a developer and has just organised a great mortgage for a passive house

i have done self build several times, purchase a plot, get a bank loan for the build, at completion swap the bank loan for a mortgage. make sure you have all the finance in place before you start.

when you have found a plot and before you make the purchase carry out a soil test, best quality if you hit ballast or iron stone at a metre deep. pile drive or a raft foundation will be to expensive for a single build. if it is a developer selling find out why? he has done the maths and it is not worth the trouble. find out were the services are these cost a fortune. on a single build you can not compete with the big time developer but you will have a property that you helped to design in a non estate position. a new build is a simple build after you have done the first one.

never even thought about that... May need to draw up a list :D

I am doing a self build in the West of Ireland and have to agree with previous posts about doing a soil test, I ended up having to bring in 48 loads of fill costing thousands and it wasn't really something I had budgeted for. In Ireland we also have to pay development contributions to local councils once planning permission is approved and you can't start the build until that has been paid and that is thousands as well, do ye have that in the UK?
Other advise I would have is go through everything with an architect or engineer and don't be deciding things as you go, only holds things up and wrecks your head. Also if you don't have a massive budget try to keep the roof a simple enough design because lead valleys and dormer windows really push the price up.
Oh yeah do plenty of pricing for materials, I saved nearly three thousand on my roof alone by pricing a merchants fifty miles away and if you can ring the reps direct sometimes they can arrange a better deal through a nominated hardware merchants

I am doing a self build in the West of Ireland and have to agree with previous posts about doing a soil test, I ended up having to bring in 48 loads of fill costing thousands and it wasn't really something I had budgeted for. In Ireland we also have to pay development contributions to local councils once planning permission is approved and you can't start the build until that has been paid and that is thousands as well, do ye have that in the UK?
Other advise I would have is go through everything with an architect or engineer and don't be deciding things as you go, only holds things up and wrecks your head. Also if you don't have a massive budget try to keep the roof a simple enough design because lead valleys and dormer windows really push the price up.
Oh yeah do plenty of pricing for materials, I saved nearly three thousand on my roof alone by pricing a merchants fifty miles away and if you can ring the reps direct sometimes they can arrange a better deal through a nominated hardware merchants

Yeah my wifes sister built in ireland and that was a headache but they built quite a boring house that looks like every other house in ireland :D

When we did our last project we shopped about for materials and did save a fortune on that :D

FInding land is proving hard....looking at a plot on tuesday but I think its too much £££

Yeah my wifes sister built in ireland and that was a headache but they built quite a boring house that looks like every other house in ireland :D

When we did our last project we shopped about for materials and did save a fortune on that :D

FInding land is proving hard....looking at a plot on tuesday but I think its too much £££
Look for some properties where the plot is is large, do a title split on it, sell the original house keep the land and build on it

Every other house in Ireland?? They most have built in a housing estate lol. Did you not leave Dublin. Drive around the countryside of Ireland and u will see the finest houses u ever seen and the finest quality. Did a few new build pain in the hole lol. U had a problem with a painter when you did up where u are now because u knocked down his money lol. I think u should just buy a place.

Now if u do build do things the old way solid block sand and cement internal and skim. But put in all mod con.

Every other house in Ireland?? They most have built in a housing estate lol. Did you not leave Dublin. Drive around the countryside of Ireland and u will see the finest houses u ever seen and the finest quality. Did a few new build pain in the hole lol. U had a problem with a painter when you did up where u are now because u knocked down his money lol. I think u should just buy a place.

Now if u do build do things the old way solid block sand and cement internal and skim. But put in all mod con.

I am talking about the houses in the countryside :D