Guess the damp

Members online

zolco

Private Member
7722b7691e28360b32f9e8b11e4a1cfc.jpg

2ee16d64681e8b7c2bc8e85b8e67ac6f.jpg

Any ideas how can an almost perfectly toilet seat shape damp patch can occur halfway up the wall, it's a cavity wall with no insulation, it's a hallway extension onto old original house with a sound flat roof, radiator almost underneath the damp patch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So you just gonna sit this one out, darn

Guessing

Problem is outside and form top of the wall . Check what's upstairs . Heat draws moisture. I am sure if you look at the back of the radiator you will find some signs too.

Guessing

Problem is outside and form top of the wall . Check what's upstairs . Heat draws moisture. I am sure if you look at the back of the radiator you will find some signs too.
Top of the wall is the exterior wall of the original house, no damp upstairs on that wall, there's a flat roof which is sound and flashing is good.
There's no sign of damp behind the rad at all, nor on the other side of the wall

Top of the wall is the exterior wall of the original house, no damp upstairs on that wall, there's a flat roof which is sound and flashing is good.
There's no sign of damp behind the rad at all, nor on the other side of the wall

If everything s sound then my guess will be old problem showing now, after everything was sorted. Moisture trapped in the wall . When was the last time any renovation was done?

If everything s sound then my guess will be old problem showing now, after everything was sorted. Moisture trapped in the wall . When was the last time any renovation was done?
8 years ago fully gutted injected every single wall, 3 years ago refurb again, I can only guess that pointing is shot so water can travel down maybe. Heating only used an hour a day when it's cold, benefits street...

7722b7691e28360b32f9e8b11e4a1cfc.jpg

2ee16d64681e8b7c2bc8e85b8e67ac6f.jpg

Any ideas how can an almost perfectly toilet seat shape damp patch can occur halfway up the wall, it's a cavity wall with no insulation, it's a hallway extension onto old original house with a sound flat roof, radiator almost underneath the damp patch.

Maybe through side of the door ?

I think you should check again the roofing and how is fixed to the wall , and the sides too, especially the one on the right

Zolco made me laugh these pictures I went to quote yesterday very similar to yours.. They want a price to do kitchen at the back of house it's back to brick but on way out said can you advise why these boards are coming away from wall,looked exactly the same as you pictures without the toilets seats

I think you should check again the roofing and how is fixed to the wall , and the sides too, especially the one on the right
I'm putting a sloping roof over it, repoint the lot renew cavity ties as suggested by Keith a year ago (had someone to do it but never actually happened), new front door, then ewi the f**k*r

I didn't know I could just post them up and would be able to get forum diagnosis straight away... I'll have to pop back there Monday and post it up

Zolco made me laugh these pictures I went to quote yesterday very similar to yours.. They want a price to do kitchen at the back of house it's back to brick but on way out said can you advise why these boards are coming away from wall,looked exactly the same as you pictures without the toilets seats
I never seen anything like it, I was almost cried when I saw it

I'm putting a sloping roof over it, repoint the lot renew cavity ties as suggested by Keith a year ago (had someone to do it but never actually happened), new front door, then ewi the f**k*r

Repointing .......EWI......???

Repointing .......EWI......???
Yepp, cavity non insulated, and it's bang on the seaside, I guess repointing before wrapping it up makes the walls a bit more sound, it's in a state

Yepp, cavity non insulated, and it's bang on the seaside, I guess repointing before wrapping it up makes the walls a bit more sound, it's in a state

That's not the case Zolco . If you do EWI , there is no need f repointing. If you want to keep it as it is , then yes. How many times have you repointed a wall prior rendering?

That's not the case Zolco . If you do EWI , there is no need f repointing. If you want to keep it as it is , then yes. How many times have you repointed a wall prior rendering?
I'm with you on that, but brickwork pretty shoddy, no point fixing to a wall if some of the bricks almost loose, that's my thinking, I might be bonkers, it's more remedial work on the bricks rather than repointing

I didn't know I could just post them up and would be able to get forum diagnosis straight away... I'll have to pop back there Monday and post it up
Yes just post them up here Vince, we'll make a judgement, it might take some going back and forth

I'm with you on that, but brickwork pretty shoddy, no point fixing to a wall if some of the bricks almost loose, that's my thinking, I might be bonkers, it's more remedial work on the bricks rather than repointing

In this case , dab the board 4 +1 and drill after is set where the dabs are. Really , repointing is not needed.

Problem is penetrating damp, probably mucky cavity wall ties bridging the cavity. Would be worth checking to see are the damp areas done in bonding

It looks like the door has rising damp, causing the locks to rust. A very common problem but it can be sorted for £5k