1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Have I wasted my time?

Discussion in 'DIY Plastering - Plastering Help - DIY Plastering ' started by Drifterjoe, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Drifterjoe

Drifterjoe New Member

Hi guys.

I'm a DIY plasterer and have skimmed a few room successfully.

Last room I did had a couple of areas of blown backing plaster so I hacked it off, patched up with bonding and skimmed it.
    Now its all dry I went to mist coat it and I've found 2 spots that sound hollow. Either I missed it first time round or it's happened since I did the work.

Anyway what I'm asking is will I get away with it? Or does it all need to come off? It's in 2 places both an area of just over a square foot each on a 9m2 wall.

Cheers
    Joe.

2. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

You could just patch it like you did which is fine but you will probably find that you will be going over it again and again and again...

If you take it all off you willl know where you stand with it :D

3. theclemo

theclemo Private Member

Picture

4. Wayners

Wayners Member

Knock a hole back to good in wall at the hollow areas. Don't go digging so it all come off. Just the minimum. Pva and allow to dry. Fill, so this will make surrounding area solid and stick to wall. Do you really want to take the lot off. Not that bad yet I guess

5. Drifterjoe

Drifterjoe New Member

So what are the odds of this failing??

I'm tempted to live with it, if fails and if cracks appear I'll hack it off and re-skim at a future date.

Secondly I've used bonding plaster to patch the other areas over brickwork but now I'm aware that it's not supposed to be used on high suction background. Will this also fail ???
    I wet down the bricks before applying the bonding coat. In the future I'll use hardwall. The bonding feels good and has no hollow spots.

Cheers.

6. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Draw around the affected area with a sharpie........get a rule and draw an even bigger area with the sharpie. Drink tea.
    Cut along the second sharpie line carefully with a big angle grinder taking care to cover stuff up, and wearing all necessary safety gear. Go full depth (you know that's how you like it).... knock out the offending plaster/block/brick and fit a snug little window in the resulting hole......Tadah!
    No defective plaster and more natural light in the space........grand designs here I come......
    (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

lol

8. rich1983

rich1983 New Member

Like.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. stuart23

stuart23 Private Member

It's fine, most reskims would sound hollow in a few bits if you went round tapping it.