Help appreciated - renovating lime mortar external wall

Members online

No members online now.

SwedishHandyman

Hi!

I have a small summer house in Sweden with plastered walls that are in dire need of repair. The house is from the end of the 19th century and I believe that lime mortar has been used. Now there are large holes in the plaster and the plaster is really soft and crumbles easily. Now I'm wondering, can I just apply new lime mortar onto these walls? What kind of preparation work should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 17693213_10155151147438571_227941853_o.jpeg
    17693213_10155151147438571_227941853_o.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 17761582_10155151147493571_581713075_o.jpeg
    17761582_10155151147493571_581713075_o.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 329
Hi!

I have a small summer house in Sweden with plastered walls that are in dire need of repair. The house is from the end of the 19th century and I believe that lime mortar has been used. Now there are large holes in the plaster and the plaster is really soft and crumbles easily. Now I'm wondering, can I just apply new lime mortar onto these walls? What kind of preparation work should I do?

Thanks in advance!

looks like a lack of guttering has caused a lot of the damage...

Looking like a nice project that!just post on anything you want advise on someone will jump on it! But first start by controlling the rain fall with gutters like Danny said and drains are good even sokeaways and move everything away from house in order to start work,were are you thinking of starting?

Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, it is not so simple, you can add to it with a newer product but it probably won't last that long. I have been a plasterer mainly exterior stucco for 22 years in Canada and rehabs are my niche well repairs period, old and new. 1)First, you have to chip/knock/bang off all loose material. 2)Now you need to determine how degraded substrate is (material you will be applying lime mortar to), if it a mortar type base coat but is also falling off easily you have a big issue and it may all need to be replaced. If most it is solid with just worst parts being soft/crumbly you can patch but always use some adhesive to ensure new base adheres and the adhesive will strengthen old base as well. There is actually lots to this depending on your expectations of both longevity and look. I use a range of products from the low-end Weldbond in which I will mix with a little water and pre-paint substrate with it, and add to my base mix. I sometimes do multiple painted on coats no less than 2 one completely dry 2nd I wait until tacky. You will know once first coat is dry if Weldbond will work if it is still flakey probably won't work. Then there attaching stucco wire/mesh then doing base, this is usually my first choice if the is a solid back to attach wire/mesh too, I would suggest doing a 2 coat system 1st with a normal portland mix with lime and sand then a lighter higher lime mortar while the first coat is not completely set, if it takes a bit of force to leave a dent in base with your hand. Then there is the expensive fix an epoxy over degrading backing to stabilize and make strong, but such a large area would be quite expensive. Any questions just ask I have no idea what products are available in Sweden but best of luck to you.