Help - Birmingham

Members online

Wayne Everiss

Hi, I live in Birmingham near the NEC and I'm looking to learn how to plaster on the job for free.

I'm 32 years old working full time in the insurance industry but would like to learn all aspects of plastering and become self employed.

Are there any plasterers in the Birmingham area who would be willing to take me on for free! I can bring my own tools, work weekends and learn all the basics.

I'm due to attend. 10 day plastering course in July 2017 which will give me a good start.

Please let me know if you would be willing to teach me on the job.

Thanks

Wayne

That good luck sounds like it's an impossible challenge?!

Hopefully people see it as an apprentice type role but they don't have to pay me!

it will take you 3 years to be able to earn any money as a plasterer. so you will need a large amount of cash to see you through that period. at 32 most people of your age have commitments to meet. you need to serve an apprenticeship as a young lad who still has the support of his family.

what do you expect to learn on a 10 day course ? who do you think is going to be able to afford to teach you ? who the hell wants to work weekends, 5 days of plastering is enough for anyone.
we hear these stories every week, save your course money and give your head a shake.

Hi, I live in Birmingham near the NEC and I'm looking to learn how to plaster on the job for free.

I'm 32 years old working full time in the insurance industry but would like to learn all aspects of plastering and become self employed.

Are there any plasterers in the Birmingham area who would be willing to take me on for free! I can bring my own tools, work weekends and learn all the basics.

I'm due to attend. 10 day plastering course in July 2017 which will give me a good start.

Please let me know if you would be willing to teach me on the job.

Thanks

Wayne

Welcome to the forum :D

@malc is right. Save your money regard that stupid course. Why not take 2 weeks off work and go with a local plasterer and I bet after those 2 weeks you may change your mind ???

Good luck from a fellow courser(y) you will definitely need some help as 10 days wont be enough on its own. Problem is no one wants to work the weekends so if you can find someone you need to jack in the job

@malc is right, of course he is one of the oldest the god father of plastering on here but it does make my heart sink slightly when I read or here of people like this op asking for help, would everyone really not want to give this guy a chance or what would anyone suggest to help the guy if he really wants a crack at it, looking from the outside in rather than the inside out surely there is something he can do

Meanwhile here on the costa it's gone a little overcast :endesacuerdo:
IMG_6576.JPG

My opinion for what it's worth is some people can do anything they want to as they have that drive and perhaps natural ability .
But that does not mean everyone can do anything they put there mind to ,some just can't !!
They lack will , and no matter how many times shown just can't do it.
Every other part of the building game you have time to stop n go back over or sit n think .
Every aspect of this game is time restrictive and unforgiving.
Not for the feint hearted .
Don't think anyone with true drive has ever been talked out of anything .

My opinion for what it's worth is some people can do anything they want to as they have that drive and perhaps natural ability .
But that does not mean everyone can do anything they put there mind to ,some just can't !!
They lack will , and no matter how many times shown just can't do it.
Every other part of the building game you have time to stop n go back over or sit n think .
Every aspect of this game is time restrictive and unforgiving.
Not for the feint hearted .
Don't think anyone with true drive has ever been talked out of anything .
That well put , tbh when @Lodan first made contact I'll be honest I was thinking what the hell am I doing, when we first met was thinking it's like waiting to see someone off inter web dating site , nerves were unreal, then when seen a spent some time together quickly realised, ok he wasn't the best looking chap but had all the positive points made, is very different kind of guy than previously met (i.e young and not really owt there)

Who was that guy in Coventry or stoke looking for someone he been looking for about 2 years? Maybe that would be good experience for them both, @JohnDoe i think ?

it will take you 3 years to be able to earn any money as a plasterer. so you will need a large amount of cash to see you through that period. at 32 most people of your age have commitments to meet. you need to serve an apprenticeship as a young lad who still has the support of his family.

what do you expect to learn on a 10 day course ? who do you think is going to be able to afford to teach you ? who the hell wants to work weekends, 5 days of plastering is enough for anyone.
we hear these stories every week, save your course money and give your head a shake.

This is very much spot on @malc

That well put , tbh when @Lodan first made contact I'll be honest I was thinking what the hell am I doing, when we first met was thinking it's like waiting to see someone off inter web dating site , nerves were unreal, then when seen a spent some time together quickly realised, ok he wasn't the best looking chap but had all the positive points made, is very different kind of guy than previously met (i.e young and not really owt there)

Who was that guy in Coventry or stoke looking for someone he been looking for about 2 years? Maybe that would be good experience for them both, @JohnDoe i think ?

How old was Lodan @Vincey

i also know a few of the regulars on here started off that way

My suggestion to the op, for what it's worth, is to practise plastering at home.
Get some boards, skim them up......scour the net, loads of film on the YouTube, get some ideas and inspiration.......then, when you've become a bit more of an asset, and less of a dead weight......then......ask for a local plasterer to help you.
@malc is right.
@A.plasterer is as well.
Want it, want it some more, really really want it and try hard.....and ..you never know.
All the very best pal.