Hi all

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fennerluke

Hi all I am new to this site I have just been offered a level one NVQ plastering course 12 weeks for £400 is this good?

Hello mate welcome to the forum, Not sure about courses I haven't done one, im sure there are a few on here that have.Im sure someone will be able to advise. Good luck.

Hi mate thanks .. I'm just asking is this a good price for what Im getting after eg: NVQ
and will I be able to go out on my own or do some weekend work?

Thats very cheap ( the price ) and you would be better getting on with a firm and attending college instead of wasting money on these short courses mate, good luck and welcome...

Hi mate it's not a short course... I made a mistake it's a 16week course NVQ1 diploma
and it is in the south west mate. And thank you guys.

if your under 24 you can do this for free your main task to demonstrate will be show you can fix plasterboard in safe manner show how to prepare background ie skrim boards or pva wall in safe manner and show you can mix in 1 material in safe manner

Hi mayti I am 24 they can't afford to fund me as I'm working so I'm paying the difference .
but was wondering could I go out on my own do basic plastering ? On weekends etc etc. .

no go work with a plasterer or gang level 1 is very basic find out if you suited to the trade

You don't need a course to learn that seriously find a wall anywhere like a garage or spare room wall and put up some damaged plasterboard I was picking it up like £3 a damaged sheet and just practise fixing the board different ways dot dab battoning isn't rocket science then start mixing gear playing around with it and learning when to trowel it etc but this is only the bare basics but beats £400 for something basic I taught meself I know plaster council bathrooms but the rest is yet to come I guess like most a start with a plasterer isn't going to happen for most as work is Low and rates r poor so id say be patient teach yourself but as a rough guide its took me anout 5 months before my finish was even reasonable

You don't need a course to learn that seriously find a wall anywhere like a garage or spare room wall and put up some damaged plasterboard I was picking it up like £3 a damaged sheet and just practise fixing the board different ways dot dab battoning isn't rocket science then start mixing gear playing around with it and learning when to trowel it etc but this is only the bare basics but beats £400 for something basic I taught meself I know plaster council bathrooms but the rest is yet to come I guess like most a start with a plasterer isn't going to happen for most as work is Low and rates r poor so id say be patient teach yourself but as a rough guide its took me anout 5 months before my finish was even reasonable

I disagree... left on your own u will surely not develop good habits and how will u know where and when u r going wrong. Surly it's quicker on a course with a competent eye behind u to put you on the right methods. Remember this bloke wants to go in peoples houses and charging them !!

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Yea I see your point windy but the course he is on about is only basically to board and skim its not too hard to pick up...but yes if you have £400 notes to throw away why not personally I think that stuff isn't to hard to pick up if you spend some time teaching yourself then pay money for more advanced things but windy you have a point was just my opinion

Thanks Essex for that .. I was thinking about being self taught I did it once In my step dad's garage but did tiling it was ace haha.. But he was a self employed builder though. Yes I need to get out of chefing and learn a trade ... Thanks for the useful info though Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.