Horizontal cracks over tanking

Members online

No members online now.

Karen Lowry

I have a few tanked walls but only have a problem with one which has a horizontal crack which i know is where two sheets of tanking join. I have filled twice but it is attached to an out building and crack reappears when season changes so I suspect heat and cold changes are causing the problem. How can I make a permanent repair? I can I get a plasterer to skrim tape the crack and re-skim? FYI surface has been painted with vinyl matt emulsion.

DPC firm no longer in business and plastering was done at same time ad other alterations. The next wall in the same room which is attached to neighbour is also tanked but has never cracked hence my assumption re changes in temperature being the cause. The wall is not insulated (a mistake by the architect in his plans which council were kind enough to overlook when signing off alterations). Post it note put on wall to show scale in picture.

Attachments

• 20170508_161554.jpg
    20170508_161554.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 191
I know that is where the overlap is of the tanking material so not sure what else I should be looking for. The attached unheated out building is solid brick construction (no cavity) and is bare brick with no visible cracks. Wall was plastered inside the house previously albeit damp at the bottom but no cracks at all in that area hence my assumption the cracks are being caused changes in temperature so not keen to hack off when I know what is there and would surely damage the tanking. Would skrim tape and another skim not work?

I know that is where the overlap is of the tanking material so not sure what else I should be looking for. The attached unheated out building is solid brick construction (no cavity) and is bare brick with no visible cracks. Wall was plastered inside the house previously albeit damp at the bottom but no cracks at all in that area hence my assumption the cracks are being caused changes in temperature so not keen to hack off when I know what is there and would surely damage the tanking. Would skrim tape and another skim not work?
IT might work but hacking off the loose plaster and fixing the membrane will deffo work.

Its probably just the membrane moving, so as Flynny said, remove plaster, fix the loose membrane and repair plaster.