How do I prep this paramount wall to paint?

Members online

Mander

I'm having my bathroom redone but I was overly optimistic about the state of the walls under the old tile and possibly my own skills. I have done enough bits of DIY work over the years that I planned to do parts of it myself. This may have been a mistake. I've hired a plumber and a tiler but didn't think to get a plasterer.

My plan was to tile two walls then paint the rest of the walls. On three walls this is fine - we found that the old plaster was blown so it went back to brick, but it's now boarded on those walls and the other one was sound enough to tile on.

However like many 1950s council built houses it was once two small rooms, so the fourth wall is what appears to be paramount partition with the old second door filled in. I don't know what I need to do to get this ready to paint. To my untrained eye it seems to be in good condition for what it is, but I don't know what products I need to make it suitable for painting and putting the radiator up.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG20230710140931.jpg
    IMG20230710140931.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
@ ask fam /friend @ recommendations of a real pro plaster . It is straight forward job .

I'm having my bathroom redone but I was overly optimistic about the state of the walls under the old tile and possibly my own skills. I have done enough bits of DIY work over the years that I planned to do parts of it myself. This may have been a mistake. I've hired a plumber and a tiler but didn't think to get a plasterer.

My plan was to tile two walls then paint the rest of the walls. On three walls this is fine - we found that the old plaster was blown so it went back to brick, but it's now boarded on those walls and the other one was sound enough to tile on.

However like many 1950s council built houses it was once two small rooms, so the fourth wall is what appears to be paramount partition with the old second door filled in. I don't know what I need to do to get this ready to paint. To my untrained eye it seems to be in good condition for what it is, but I don't know what products I need to make it suitable for painting and putting the radiator up.

Any advice?
Rip it off and start fresh.

@ ask fam /friend @ recommendations of a real pro plaster . It is straight forward job .
I have started looking. I was in a bit of a panic this morning trying to think of how I could get it done this weekend but I've faced up to reality. Hopefully it won't take too much time to get someone in.

Any advice?
It needs plastering anyway so just get a plasterer.

You don't know how lucky you are to get a sensible ppst off @000

So I couldn't resist peeling off some more of the old tile adhesive and a couple of loose bits to try and see how exactly this wall is put together. It doesn't look like the old door is still in there after all, but what is presumably another piece of the egg crate stuff. It seems to be only held in by mesh and plaster. The bit between the two old door frames looks like plasterboard filled with cement.

I'm wondering if I could cut a channel in the middle of the old doorway and put a piece of timber in, screwed to the floor and the top of the door frame. Not ideal but it would be more stable than cardboard floating in plaster. Or possibly remove the panel filling the doorway and put in a secondary frame of sorts and put up plasterboard.

The bit between the two doors is more of a challenge. I'm assuming there used to be some kind of stud there, as you can see the line of the old wall marked on the floorboards, but I can't see any timber in the wall now. Could I dig out the cement and put another bit of timber in there?

I suppose ideas like this are the stuff of future professionals standing there making that sound that means "what idiot did this?".

Try to clean most of the tile adhesive off the wall. Employ a plasterer, what you need is PVA the wall , A full covering of the wall in Krend fibre mesh or similar and skim. Don't go cutting more holes in the wall.

Try to clean most of the tile adhesive off the wall. Employ a plasterer, what you need is PVA the wall , A full covering of the wall in Krend fibre mesh or similar and skim. Don't go cutting more holes in the wall.
Sigh, I know you are right. Fortunately I got a plasterer lined up already. I'll continue very gently picking off the rest of the tile adhesive and leave the rest to the pro. Any maybe I'll sign up for that plastering course for idiots I saw...

Sigh, I know you are right. Fortunately I got a plasterer lined up already. I'll continue very gently picking off the rest of the tile adhesive and leave the rest to the pro. Any maybe I'll sign up for that plastering course for idiots I saw...

If only you owned a table saw!

So I couldn't resist peeling off some more of the old tile adhesive and a couple of loose bits to try and see how exactly this wall is put together. It doesn't look like the old door is still in there after all, but what is presumably another piece of the egg crate stuff. It seems to be only held in by mesh and plaster. The bit between the two old door frames looks like plasterboard filled with cement.

I'm wondering if I could cut a channel in the middle of the old doorway and put a piece of timber in, screwed to the floor and the top of the door frame. Not ideal but it would be more stable than cardboard floating in plaster. Or possibly remove the panel filling the doorway and put in a secondary frame of sorts and put up plasterboard.

The bit between the two doors is more of a challenge. I'm assuming there used to be some kind of stud there, as you can see the line of the old wall marked on the floorboards, but I can't see any timber in the wall now. Could I dig out the cement and put another bit of timber in there?

I suppose ideas like this are the stuff of future professionals standing there making that sound that means "what idiot did this?".
You’re trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

Get a steam stripper on to soften and remove the tile adhesive, pva the whole thing . The egg box thing you think is a door isn’t, the walls are slabs full of criss cross card seen loads of them in modern ish houses,just fill the gap with bonding, tape anything that looks suspect and skim. If you want to go belt and braces mesh the wall and skim . Simple