How to fix new build render?

Members online

Tim-M

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice about the renderer on our new build house in Devon which be bought back in September 2015. The house is rendered with a Parex render.

There are a number of problems with the render:
1) Physical damage to the render caused during construction.
2) Staining on the render (white stains and red/brown devon mud stains).
3) Failure of the render in corners of window recess/ next to plastic window sills.
4) Localised cracking at couple of locations.
5) Appearance of small holes from air pockets (about 20- 30 in total over the whole house).

There’s also the strange thing that any metalwork on the outside of the house seems to go rusty very quickly compared to other house with the same fittings.

An initial attempt was made a repairing the holes a few months after we moved in. The small air pocket holes repairs were relatively successful. The larger damage repairs are more obvious as the texture does not match the original and also are a different shade of colour when wet. Repairs around the windows all failed within a few months.

Currently the Housebuilder are proposing to fill in any holes (they haven’t specified with what) and then apply Parex Colourwash over the top.

The Parex information sheet about the air pocket problem says that the housebuilder’s approach doesn’t really work and that they should patch, apply a 2-3mm coat of mesh reinforced Maite base coat, then apply an acryic finish of 310 primer and DPR Sand Fine Finish.

Basically we paid for a brand new house and after it has been repaired expect it to look and perform like a new house. Question is are the housebuilders trying it on or will their repair do the job? Are these typical problems or should I expect more problems with the render in the future?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Air pocket hole
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Window sill defect
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Window sill Repair
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

White staining
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

White staining 2
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Scaffold damage
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Repaired scaffold damage
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Repaired crack
by Tim Mills, on Flickr

Thanks for the reply. No we haven't been in touch with the NHBC yet, on the advice of someone within the building trade. He said that the NHBC could be a bit random in their judgements so might not be the best approach.

Mono is always hard to repair and you can always see when it's been attempted. was it sealed with Paraguard after or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a bish bash bosh job, lets get out of here before the scaffold comes down. If there is cracking then mesh coat is a must.

I've not been happy with it. Even less happy with the housebuilders who seem happy to try and fob me off.

I don't think that it has been treated with Paraguard - retains water nicely when it rains.

So basically the housebuilder's patch and coating isn't going to hide the problem very well then?

I'm no mono expert, but as far as I know any other material render touches, windows, doors, sills etc, should either be seprated with a bead or a relief mark with a sealant. Looks like there was no mesh around stress points casing cracking in around windows, again I'm not sure how many house builders do this but any private job I would mesh.

just a badly carried out job, persevere with the builders about rectifying it. should be blemish free etc etc.

Have the nob heads give you a descent finish one that you would pay for?no !! So tell them to do it again it's a fukin show!! Your been mugged off bud sorry,hope you get sorted.

looking at this it is not repairable. you should still be within the warranty of.the build and can claim.against this.

get a few quotes/ options from different companies and present this to.the builder.

if they dont rectify tell them.you will claim against them for these costs.

Thanks for your replies - it's very helpful it this situation as it's difficult to decide if my expectations are too high. I shall keep pushing .

Maybe bodgings a tad harsh, but we tend to always use beads of a similiar colour to the render.

Thanks for your replies - it's very helpful it this situation as it's difficult to decide if my expectations are too high. I shall keep pushing .
Tim sorry bud were are you? And No you not wrong mate your expectations are spot on ,you should be moving in your home looking spot on and you happy !

Maybe bodgings a tad harsh, but we tend to always use beads of a similiar colour to the render.

That's easier said then done on a domestic job.
Everywhere I've tried will only sell colour coded beads by the box and I haven't got storage big enough for the next time someone uses azure blue or smokey grey..........

The white staining on rhetoric reveals is where the material hasn't been scraped back ,surface latency.

That's easier said then done on a domestic job.
Everywhere I've tried will only sell colour coded beads by the box and I haven't got storage big enough for the next time someone uses azure blue or smokey grey..........

Yep I meant standard colours, not your Blues of this world.

To be fair more often than not the architect will specify they want beads to match, we do a lot of sort of grand design builds so there choosy, which is there right I guess, most are 20 grand plus on the renders so a box of obscure coloured beads even if I never use em again is neither here nor there really.