I Need Major Help. Massive Hole In Wall... I'm A Noob

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleem123

I just joined this forum because i need help repairing a wall. I went onto doityourself.com forums to ask for help. They told me that this type of all is plaster with wood lath and no drywall (i thought it was drywall, i'm a noob). So then they suggested that i should join this forum so i did as you guys are experts in plaster walls. So here below are pictures of the hole in the wall and i need a list of equipment and the best method for me to repair this wall. They told me to pull off the loose wallpaper and remove all the mortar that is stuck in between so i pulled off most. But i need some more help, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

I Need Major Help. Massive Hole In Wall... I'm A Noob I Need Major Help. Massive Hole In Wall... I'm A Noob I Need Major Help. Massive Hole In Wall... I'm A Noob

equipment needed

1 plasterers phone numbers
2 note pad
3 telephone
4 some money

get three quotes and pick one you like then pay your money.......simples!

I just joined this forum because i need help repairing a wall. I went onto doityourself.com forums to ask for help. They told me that this type of all is plaster with wood lath and no drywall (i thought it was drywall, i'm a noob). So then they suggested that i should join this forum so i did as you guys are experts in plaster walls. So here below are pictures of the hole in the wall and i need a list of equipment and the best method for me to repair this wall. They told me to pull off the loose wallpaper and remove all the mortar that is stuck in between so i pulled off most. But i need some more help, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 3893View attachment 3894View attachment 3895

Strip the paper round the hole. Buy a bag of easy fill and some pva. Mix pva with a little water and brush onto wooden lath. Mix easy fill up to quite a stiff mix and apply as many coats as you need to fill the hole. Leave a few days to dry then sand back with some 120 grade sandpaper.

sorry was rude, been out in the sun all day and had a moment of madness and was just thinking out loud and i will not do it again :RpS_bored:

Strip the paper round the hole. Buy a bag of easy fill and some pva. Mix pva with a little water and brush onto wooden lath. Mix easy fill up to quite a stiff mix and apply as many coats as you need to fill the hole. Leave a few days to dry then sand back with some 120 grade sandpaper.

Do this, but strip the whole wall while your at it, as the wallpapers had it mate. You might find a few more bits that need filled. Those papers hide all sorts of sh1t underneath

Do this, but strip the whole wall while your at it, as the wallpapers had it mate. You might find a few more bits that need filled. Those papers hide all sorts of sh1t underneath

Very true..
If the whole wall is shot might be quicker to overboard it with bevel edge boards - tape the joints and fill the screw heads. You can paper over that. Otherwise either patch up as said or if the lot is knackered get someone in.

View attachment 3893View attachment 3894View attachment 3895

Hmmmm :RpS_sneaky: :RpS_unsure:

Wow a lot of comments, Thank you, very helpful. :)

So i like to try it out myself before i call...

I need someone who can give me a full list of equipment and the easiest method to fix this hole. This is plaster with wood lath not drywall because it was confirmed by people from doityourself.com

hmm, i can't do that because practically the whole room has the same wallpaper, it would look a bit uneven if one wall has a completely different wallpaper. This is very old, so i hardly think i can find the same wallpaper...

Will this really work? i thought it would be much harder than that. Can you give me a link for more details? Or can you give me a detailed method? (would be appreciated) :)

Just an student please note, but I'd say you are going to have problems doing that yourself. That suggestion of the bag of easyfill mixed with a little PVA but all of this is coming from an experienced plasterer. Patching is surprisingly difficult for a beginner to do without ending up bulging out and proud edges. Looks like you've got a bit of background and finish to try and make up and all of that onto lats.

I've also got a suspicion if that is happening taking the rest of the wallpaper off you are going to have a lot more come with it. Strip the wall and do tell! The main thing is if you are papering over it, if you leave a hump in the wall, so long as it is not to big then you can paper over it but if you leave proud edges that is going to show straight through the paper. Neither one of these is good like.

More than anything though get the lats off and get a proper wall in :D

When it's filled out run a straight edge across it, bit of wood (wetted) or the edge of a trowel. Let that set then put a thin skim over it.

hmm, i can't do that because practically the whole room has the same wallpaper, it would look a bit uneven if one wall has a completely different wallpaper. This is very old, so i hardly think i can find the same wallpaper...

Not only is the paper very old, its very cheap. Time for a redo, it's your only option. Unless your a landlord & couldn't give a monkeys :RpS_sneaky:

The area in question is about 1square inch, but I'm on a kindle.

Call a local guy in saleem123, he'll let you know what's what.

Remember cowen no prices !

Ah don't worry wasn't going to give specifics, I was mainly curious the best I'd say is cheap/average/oh feck patch it and paint it!

Because to be honest I'm a student and in no position to give any prices anyway! I've done a few individual jobs personally but no.

I hope people don't mind me talking on these threads btw. I am no spread, whenever I pitch in I hope I never pretend to be one. Obviously I will be and from ghosting around I learn loads so I am grateful and certainly don't want to be peeing anyone off. If I was I'd stop posting and keep reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.