LOwering floor level

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Hi all

Job gettin done in my house. Not specifically a plastering question but the screeders out there should be able to help.

Removing patio doors leading to conservatory and retiling kitchem and conservatory on one level. Prob is that the floor level in conservatory is approx 3/4" higher than kitchen floor.

All floor tiles are bein ripped up and my mate (tiler) said just hire a kango ??? and break up top floor surface of conservatory. Lower it to same level. Rescreed floor and then re tile.

Is this the best way to lower the conservatory floor??

Help ::)

yeah its the best way ,that or bring the kitchen floor up but depends on what height you've got to play with etc , just make sure your out the day the kango the floor up ;D

Depends on how easy it comes could be a big job, you could make the difference up in the lounge with insulation board and while you are at it put some underfloor heating in.
Lucius.

we normally bulk the first couple of coats up with grano in the latex then build it up in layers but not cheap but i dont see many other options really

also it dont need to be latex based if going ontop of a concrete floor just normal self leveling would do and keep the cost down

its wether you want a step into the kitchen from the hall, or the expense/mess of digging out the conservatory floor

the trouble is that if u bring the kit floor up to conservatory floor level you might end up with a big step on the door threshold to the kitchin, the only way is to lower conservatory floor

Thanks as ever for replies fellas

Yeah its the conservatory that has to be lowered as if we raise the kitchen floor we lose the profile leading to the living room and create a step.

Once the floor is lowered 3/4 what will a self lveliing screed be ok. Remember we are already going over a 4 ish inch screed that the builders put in when fitting the conservatory

if it was me i'd take the screed out and relay it thinner. if its 4 inches you've got plenty to play with. theres no way your going to be able to take a 3/4 inch skim off the top of the screed.

This is not the answer to the question.

But thought I'd point out there is a slc that can be laid up to 50mm thick in one go!
Can't remember the name but we used some not long back, there's 1 called deepbase similar stuff.
before that we'd add sharp sand to normal slc as said above.

http://www.setcrete.co.uk/files/9.pdf

if it was me id get the other floor mastic asphelted to the conservatory floor height cost around £15-20 a m2 supplied and layed you can work on it an 1hr afterwards.

Why don't they just get a sheet of ply & make a small ramp to the consevatory sorted & cheap too ;) ;D

would recomend an s.b.r modified screed and also slurry floor with s.b.r and cement can go down as low as 15to 20mm then the real thin areas you could laytex use isocrete 1500 or a very costly way would be use isocrete m bond which is a 2 part epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.