New skim patch fell off the wall! Patch up ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beigeM that looks awful and if it was me I wouldn't have him doing it again if that's what the end result will be!!?? I think you mentioned he blamed "dodgy" PVA!?? Wtf !!?? Did he mean he mixed it that weak to save a few quid? Tut tut try and get your money back?? Get somebody off the forum to redo it there's quite a few London spreads on here who am sure will be happy to help??

Last edited by a moderator:
I've told him I don't want him to re-do it and I want him to reimburse me for another guy I got from 'Which? Local' to do it. I'm going to strip it and coat in thistle bond-it, betokontact or blue grip and he's going to come round and skim it.

Have to say a big thanks everyone on this thread - the responses convinced me to investigate properly, rather than end up with a big layer of sporadically attached plaster on my wall. :RpS_thumbup:
I also got a ceiling overboarded and skimmed, and another room skimmed:
- The other room was done by a different bloke, and feels solid enough
- The ceiling feels solid and I *think* plasterboard is easier to bond plaster to using PVA
so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone with these. (that and the fact I don't think he would reimburse me for the whole job even if I did find problems).

Also definitely going to stay away from rated people and try harder for personal recommendations in future.

I've told him I don't want him to re-do it and I want him to reimburse me for another guy I got from 'Which? Local' to do it. I'm going to strip it and coat in thistle bond-it, betokontact or blue grip and he's going to come round and skim it.

Have to say a big thanks everyone on this thread - the responses convinced me to investigate properly, rather than end up with a big layer of sporadically attached plaster on my wall. :RpS_thumbup:
I also got a ceiling overboarded and skimmed, and another room skimmed:
- The other room was done by a different bloke, and feels solid enough
- The ceiling feels solid and I *think* plasterboard is easier to bond plaster to using PVA
so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone with these. (that and the fact I don't think he would reimburse me for the whole job even if I did find problems).

Also definitely going to stay away from rated people and try harder for personal recommendations in future.
So what made you choose someone from which local? ( don't know what that is so I'm curious)

So what made you choose someone from which local? ( don't know what that is so I'm curious)

fair question, and I won't be convinced till the job is done, but reasons were:
1 - no-one on here mentioned anything when I said where I lived
2 - it seems Which has a better structure than ratedpeople - I pay for Which and think the site is funded by users, rather than tradesmen, where the site effectively represents them, rather than the end customer.
3 - the plasterer seemed to have believable answers to my questions (I know a lot more about plaster now that I did a month ago).

It is part of Which magazine subscription and is £10 a month. Tradesmen join and put in there details and customers contact them directly based on reviews of work done previously.We are contacted by phone or email about a job and you price it and when finished the which member writes a revue and rates you on job, cost etc
The difference between this and rated people is I think the customer is more fussy and wants a top job but will also pay the going rate in my experience.

Another load of bollox if you get a **** job again you deserve it you are on a forum with a load if plasterers giving you free advise and I don't remember you asking anyone to quote I'm not saying it doesn't work but recommendations and three quotes is the norm tut tut

What a shame you only found this place after ey!i don't know what you other spreads reckon but I'll only use uni bond and cementone nowadays,a lot of own brand/cheap stuff ain't up to scratch no matter how you gauge it.and even better,bond it,if you've got the time on the job that is!

Its difficult to find good plasterers, different things work for different spreads, things can go wrong, experience is the key..

Another load of bollox if you get a **** job again you deserve it you are on a forum with a load if plasterers giving you free advise and I don't remember you asking anyone to quote I'm not saying it doesn't work but recommendations and three quotes is the norm tut tut

I had a few (broken down) quotes before so I knew what to expect. I don't mean to offend, but even getting someone off here isn't going to guarantee I get a good job, is it? It's a public forum.
If I want to get a quote then I just stick something in 'work available'?

I had a few (broken down) quotes before so I knew what to expect. I don't mean to offend, but even getting someone off here isn't going to guarantee I get a good job, is it? It's a public forum.
If I want to get a quote then I just stick something in 'work available'?
Your right nothing's guaranteed but a load of made up referrals in something like a magazine is not the place I would start. You will have more chance of getting someone who knows what they are doing off here by simply reading their previous posts but fingers crossed you get sorted

It's up to you where you spend your money, great if its someone off of here,no worries if not,everyday is a school day, but if you get someone off of here you can ask the owner @Danny to say if the plasterer is recommended or not

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus if it was a spread off here they would be too scared to do a below par job due to the grief they'd get off us lot !! :RpS_laugh: :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.