Newly skimmed walls cracking!

europa

As part of a complete home renovation, the existing bedroom (brick/block) walls were reskimmed and painted a couple of months ago. However, i have just noticed cracks appearing in the plaster. They are hairline cracks, but already fairly extensive. I realise some cracking is probably inevitable in old houses due to movement, but surely not so soon. Might this have been caused by the contractor not waiting long enough for the new plaster to dry before painting?

It was suggested to me that the problem can be remedied by applying a thin layer of plasterboard and reskimming, but the person who told me that was not a plasterer. So, plasterers, what is actually the best way to remedy the problem?

Edit: i should probably add the rooms are not yet finished as the contractor abondoned the works right after painting the walls. So there's no skirting etc.

Got any pics?
Not yet, no. I didn't think of taking them when i was at the house yesterday. Will take some later today or tomorrow, however.

If it helps, there is no uniformity to the cracks, i.e. they are in random directions and random lengths. Also, one of the bedrooms has, at some point, had the chimney removed so that could be part of the problem, but not in the other rooms.

Does the backing sound hollow when you knock on it? Tap the back of your nails on the wall will also tell you if the skim sounds loose.

As part of a complete home renovation, the existing bedroom (brick/block) walls were reskimmed and painted a couple of months ago. However, i have just noticed cracks appearing in the plaster. They are hairline cracks, but already fairly extensive. I realise some cracking is probably inevitable in old houses due to movement, but surely not so soon. Might this have been caused by the contractor not waiting long enough for the new plaster to dry before painting?

It was suggested to me that the problem can be remedied by applying a thin layer of plasterboard and reskimming, but the person who told me that was not a plasterer. So, plasterers, what is actually the best way to remedy the problem?

Edit: i should probably add the rooms are not yet finished as the contractor abondoned the works right after painting the walls. So there's no skirting etc.
What plaster did they use ?
Thanks

Right, I'm going to try to attach some pics. Knocking on the wall doesn't seem to tell me much. Sounds hollow in places and not hollow in others! No idea what plaster they used, but they've done a relatively good job with the building work generaly.

tmp_1860-IMG_20170120_131216-1731895830.png tmp_1860-IMG_20170120_1309231072644604.png tmp_1860-IMG_20170120_131444-555634483.png

Thanks, chaps. Had a chat with @zolco. He suggested leaving it till the remainder of the structural work, i.e. thru lounge, extensions etc. have been done. And then meshing or plasterboarding as appropriate.

I've got a few knicker drawers to burn I can't get rid of the dusty fingerprints so will after burn them and i love a good fire

If it's a old house I doubt very much it's down to movement!!

If it's been plastered over old brick my guess is it's not bonded to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first pic looks to me like the skim has blown.
Could be a case of not bonding to the previous substrate or incorrect prep ie no pva or grit used.
You'll get all kind of answers on this one because we are all guessing as to what was and wasn't done.
Agree that it's definitely a sub standard finish as well looking at the pictures

The first pic looks to me like the skim has blown.
Could be a case of not bonding to the previous substrate or incorrect prep ie no pva or grit used.
You'll get all kind of answers on this one because we are all guessing as to what was and wasn't done.
Agree that it's definitely a sub standard finish as well looking at the pictures
Oh, oh, I love a guessing game.......
Ummm, could it be that the wrong size trowel/brush/bucket was used?
No wait...was it that the mixing paddle was positive not negative?
Orrr..the plaster was mixed too long/too little/in the wrong room or outside when it should've been inside?

Oh I don't know......:aburrido:...bored with it all now....:(

Hi, guys. Me again!

The structural work has mostly been finished now. So i'm back on this. Funnily enough, as the temperature has risen the cracks have all but disappeared. I reckon this is due to the skim coat expanding a bit. Nevertheless, it's time to do something as the decorating work is about to start.

I think @Orangemachineman and @reeves1985 have the right idea - the wall sounds hollow when knocking on it, especially where there used to be a chimney. The previous builders skimmed over the old plaster, which, i guess, was not properly bonded to the brickwork. The house is old - it was built in the 20s or 30s.

I'm not keen on plasterboarding, and meshing will be costly i guess. The contract administrator suggested either lining paper or raking out cracks. Thing is, the cracks are very hard to see now.

Short of replastering and skimming the walls, what would you guys suggest?

Easi fill and see if they come back through or not

The ones you can't see just ignore for now and decorate but be prepared that as some point there may be some snagging/remedial work to do on those areas.
If they don't come back then great but they probably will at some point.
Whether that's next week or a few years time is anybody's guess.

Lining paper would obviously give you the comfort that you'll not see those cracks again but.
If your going to the expense to get to this point with the building work. I personally think it's unacceptable to have to accept you need to lining paper.

It's like anything with plastering you can never guarantee against cracks you can only do everything correctly!
Which as is in this case is subjective at best.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The ones you can't see just ignore for now and decorate but be prepared that as some point there may be some snagging/remedial work to do on those areas.
If they don't come back then great but they probably will at some point.
Whether that's next week or a few years time is anybody's guess.

Lining paper would obviously give you the comfort that you'll not see those cracks again but.
If your going to the expense to get to this point with the building work. I personally think it's unacceptable to have to accept you need to lining paper.

It's like anything with plastering you can never guarantee against cracks you can only do everything correctly!
Which as is in this case is subjective at best.

Thanks, very helpful. But, just to clarify, you're saying:
- to not use lining paper, and
- to rake out and fill the visible cracks only...what about using scrim tape and feathering the filler?

You can use scrim which will help but in my opinion you will struggle to loose the bump you'll create with the scrim and filler over the top.
You'd be better off of going that route using paper tape but bed with fillet and then another coat or 2 over the top.
But even with that you run the risk of seeing the bumps you created

Thanks, very helpful. But, just to clarify, you're saying:
- to not use lining paper, and
- to rake out and fill the visible cracks only...what about using scrim tape and feathering the filler?
It will look gash if you feather over scrim ...too much of a lump

Na tbh you pissing in the wind spending out doing the place up to then start skimping at the decorating end we're everyone can see ,just dig a bit deeper pal and do it right!