Nvq level 2 ewpa....

Members online

Nwplasterer

I'm after completing my nvq level 2 I have roughly 10 years plastering experience, but I don't have much sand and cement rendering experience. Will I struggle to complete it without this?? I know roughly how to do it but have never put it into practice. I can't float walls using browning etc.
Also where would you guys recommend to do this I'm based in manchester? I've only just setup on my own so work is thin at the moment so can't really do the osat route and it's more expensive this way.....
Any help appreciated......

I'm after completing my nvq level 2 I have roughly 10 years plastering experience, but I don't have much sand and cement rendering experience. Will I struggle to complete it without this?? I know roughly how to do it but have never put it into practice. I can't float walls using browning etc.
Also where would you guys recommend to do this I'm based in manchester? I've only just setup on my own so work is thin at the moment so can't really do the osat route and it's more expensive this way.....
Any help appreciated......

I know nothing about these courses but if it is a course then wouldn't you get taught? There are training courses for base coats etc etc.

After looking what ewpa is I come up with this part

The following mandatory units make up the NVQ Level2:

QCF641: - Conform to general workplace safety
QCF642: - Conform to efficient work practices
QCF643: - Move and handle resources
QCF66: - Produce internal solid plastering finishes
QCF67: - Produce external solid render finishes

Basically call them and ask but why do you need nvq if your just skimming? I don't have any qualifications and have never been asked, you know what you can and can't do so be honest with people. If you want to do floating then there is courses for things like that.

If your competent with a hawk & trowel (obviously after 10 years you will be), then you'll be able to apply any material - it's just learning how to finish it that you probably need experience. If work is scarce at the moment use this time to practice s&c work - all you need is a brick/block wall in a garage or anywhere and get mixing and practicing. I was a labourer when I started and every Sat & Sun morning I was up at the crack of dawn in my garage practicing render, screeding floors and skimming boards (screwed 2x4 to one wall and screwed pb and off I went), it wasn't long before I had it nailed, then one day at work the spread did turn in and the gaffer had a fit, I said I'll skim the wall - he laughed at me and called me a coont then drove off (a real charmer he was), I skimmed the wall and when he came back and saw it done all he said was, well your not getting a FOOKIN pay rise.
It pays off to push yourself if you want to succeed. You won't struggle with the NVQ2 if you prepare yourself. Fail to prepare - prepare to fail.

If your competent with a hawk & trowel (obviously after 10 years you will be), then you'll be able to apply any material - it's just learning how to finish it that you probably need experience. If work is scarce at the moment use this time to practice s&c work - all you need is a brick/block wall in a garage or anywhere and get mixing and practicing. I was a labourer when I started and every Sat & Sun morning I was up at the crack of dawn in my garage practicing render, screeding floors and skimming boards (screwed 2x4 to one wall and screwed pb and off I went), it wasn't long before I had it nailed, then one day at work the spread did turn in and the gaffer had a fit, I said I'll skim the wall - he laughed at me and called me a coont then drove off (a real charmer he was), I skimmed the wall and when he came back and saw it done all he said was, well your not getting a FOOKIN pay rise.
It pays off to push yourself if you want to succeed. You won't struggle with the NVQ2 if you prepare yourself. Fail to prepare - prepare to fail.
Blimey mate, your thinking should be implemented in some peeps brain, you just described what people should do to try materials or gain confidence top man

After looking what ewpa is I come up with this part

The following mandatory units make up the NVQ Level2:

QCF641: - Conform to general workplace safety
QCF642: - Conform to efficient work practices
QCF643: - Move and handle resources
QCF66: - Produce internal solid plastering finishes
QCF67: - Produce external solid render finishes

Basically call them and ask but why do you need nvq if your just skimming? I don't have any qualifications and have never been asked, you know what you can and can't do so be honest with people. If you want to do floating then there is courses for things like that.
I need my NVQ level 2 to get my CSCS card to then work on site.....

Think you can get a labourers card to go on site for health and safety purposes. If a firm is asking for a level 2 card the probably want carded tradesmen. Pointless if you ask me the best spreads i know are qualified the been at it years for me experience is what counts