Pebbledash options (advice needed)

StanMeadows

I have a detached house with pebbledash. The house has patches where windows have been replaced, patches where doors have been relocated, patches where poor adherence has resulted in loss of topcoat - you get the picture - I have patches!!!

The scratch coat is rock hard (too hard) and has cracks in places. The brickwork underneath is very soft (mainly partial) bricks with very powdery mortar.

I'm reluctant to have the render totally removed due to potential damage - but want a uniform and long lasting finish. What are my options?

Any pointers very welcome!

I'm always dubious about going over existing renders as the thicker the render the more chance of it delaminating i.e. Falling off.
Maybe take the top coat off leave the scratch coat, re dash/sand cement/mono/thin coat system.
Put up your location up, plenty of renderers on here, that I'm sure will look at it for you.

Thanks for the prompt response. I guess the finish will only be as good as the scratch coat allows - but I am leaning towards your suggestion as total removal will be risky (and hard work).

I have some external walls that are OK due to being recent extensions. Stripping the top coat off the worst walls (where it is blown anyway) should prove reasonably simple. The issue is, some walls where doors/widows have been replaced/relocated are actually reasonably sound - but ugly - these will represent a tougher challenge.

I am located in South Bucks/East Berks area - Beaconsfield, Maidenhead, Slough kind of area.

Yes, take the top coat off and leave the scratch coat on. There are several ways you can go from there.

One is to use a sbr cement slurry prior to the new scratch coat going on. Another is using a product like Soverein Plastprime x. Then two coats as usual.

There are modern renders that have have sticky base coats and dedicated dash coats. These are good and light weight but cost.

Thanks for the response Rigsby. It seems like there is a general consensus towards removing the top coat.

Anyone in my area (East Berks/South Bucks) prepared to take a look?

Hello,boarding over the existing could possibly be an option, would save a bit of time and mess rather than hacking it off.
You could use a thin EPS or phenolic foam board if you are not concerned about the thermal value and scrim and dash it or texture.