Plastering Direct on to outside OSB panel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimLE

This is the third time I've put this question to the forum. It must be a bad week which didn't start very well when Wales lost to Ireland! But we did have a tremendous 2nd half which I'm hoping will bode well against the French.

Back to my question, needs to be ultra waterproof to stand very heavy rain.

All the best,

James

this is from your last post there was a problem with it;

Hi James

You cannot render/plaster directly onto the OSB on the outside of a SIP....... Go and ask your SIP supplier!

If this is a new build, you will be building with a system to suit your insurance provider - in order to get a morgage - therefore you will need to have a drained and vertilated cavity, then a render carrier board (such as Knauf Aquapanel Exterior) before the render.... it is a requirement of the main insurance suppliers (NHBC, Prem and LABC)...

If it is an extension, you will need permission from your local building control officer before you do anythng out of the norm..... (remember that you may want to sell the house in the future....)

feel free to get in touch with me for more assistance.

Good Luck!

Richard Lord
Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Spec Manager
rlord@knauf.co.uk

If it is the inner wall you are refering to.... again you need a board before the plaster..... refer to your SIP supplier for information (different types of boards dependant on the SIP location - if it is a structural element, it will need to be a fire rated board)

Then skim as normal.....

let the forum know where you are based and what you are actually after and someone will assist further with pricing!

Good Luck mate

Richard, thanks for the swift reply but there is a method of doing this which involves 2 sheets of felt attached to the panel and covered with wire mesh then simply plaster on to mesh. I don't really need building regs etc as the project is overseas.

We are the the SIP suppliers and looking for a simpler method than the above if at all possible.

Best

JF

This is the third time I've put this question to the forum. It must be a bad week which didn't start very well when Wales lost to Ireland! But we did have a tremendous 2nd half which I'm hoping will bode well against the French.

Back to my question, needs to be ultra waterproof to stand very heavy rain.

All the best,

James

I doubt it !

But back to your original question, yes you could felt and mesh , but this would be as costly as using a carrier board and not as good ,

Richard, thanks for the swift reply but there is a method of doing this which involves 2 sheets of felt attached to the panel and covered with wire mesh then simply plaster on to mesh. I don't really need building regs etc as the project is overseas.

We are the the SIP suppliers and looking for a simpler method than the above if at all possible.

Best

JF

Seems pretty simple the way you suggest whats wrong with that way?

Hi JF

I suggest that you look at the suitable methods for the country that you are supplying the SIP to......

There is an older traditional method of applying render to TF and SIP units.... batten - builders paper - metal lath - then multiple layers of render (usually 3 to give a finish)..... this is a lengthy process and gives a heavy cladding....

I am sure there are spreads on here that can help if this is the method you are refering to....

Good Luck mate!

Richard Lord

Depending on the country you are supplying the SIP to - some countries do allow a directly applied system where you apply a breather membrane to the OSB, then fix Knauf Aquapanel Exterior and then render......

Feel free to drop me a line on the details on the above post - tell me where the project is and I will arrange for a local contact, from the country you are supplying the SIP, for the Knauf Aquapanel system to get in touch and assist......

I hope this helps

Richard

AQUAPANEL!!!!!

. Sorry Rich:RpS_crying: tourretts again:rolleyes) feck!!!
Not after your job:RpS_biggrin:

Spunky, thanks for the reply. Do me a favour and expand on this method, step by step. You can send me an e-mail direct to info@primelesips.co.uk or let me have your e-mail address.

Best
James

Sounds like your looking for a cheap fix i dont think there is one, the method you use is probably gonna be the cheapest material wise but maybe more skill is involved to get a good finish, in my opinion.

the method used in the states is one layer of tyvec or similar then one or two layers of builders paper mesh or diamond wire, 2coats of sand and cement (scratch and brown) 3:1 and to finish a colour coat or texture or acrylic.

I did a small timber frame extension once and roughcasted it and it worked fine but I used a 5:1:1/2 sand, cement, lime mix for scratch coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.