plastering over vinyl matt paint!

patman89

Hi guys! Need some advise! Work for a building company and am I multi tradesman! In last 2 years I've picked up plastering and really enjoy it, so been getting the odd private job, one of my customers has asked me too skim out a bedroom for them walls are pretty poor state and has a vinyl matt paint on so very shiny, will 2 coats of pva be enough prep or am I going too need to key the walls up first? Can't see the plaster going on too well as the walls are at the minute, any tips would be great! :flapper:

Problem as ever is the question how fixed is the paint. Test it with a strip of duck tape and see if it rips off , if you go the pva way, weak coat of 5/1. Second coat of 3/1 if the first ever pulls in,

Was also thinking about a really course sandpaper first sand them down to try get worst of paint off then a weak pva?

Go to your local merchant and ask for some rainbow pva its especially for what you have described :RpS_thumbsup:

If it's shiny then it's Vinyl Silk paint or worse still Gloss paint. Thistlebondit is the way forward here but apply the day before.

weve done it before with a couple of decent handfulls of bonding thrown in the pva the day before then skim it, as far as i know its still on the walls and it got round the having to wait around for it to pull in as the bonding pulled it in a treat

weve done it before with a couple of decent handfulls of bonding thrown in the pva the day before then skim it, as far as i know its still on the walls and it got round the having to wait around for it to pull in as the bonding pulled it in a treat

Cracking idea that, gonna try that tomorrow :)

bit late but, scrape off any loose paint, very strong pva, not quite neat tho, add sand and paint it up, have sponge and water ready to wash splashes off quick, cause its a nightmare to clean when it goes off

paint expert told me its the plastic beads in the paint that the plaster wont adhere to.he suggested get the customer to paint two coats of matt emulsion onto the walls ..works a treat as long as the paint is totally dry and no finish sliding s**t