Pva nightmare

Westie

Hi all, I'm really after a bit of advice. I'm not a tradesperson.

My mum and dad have just had their bathroom plastered. The tiler asked my dad to pva ready for tiling. The thing is, my dad pva'd everywhere, including the ceiling! I have told him that the areas they want to paint now have a problem because the pva will stop the paint soaking into the wall and adhering properly.

Does anyone know how this problem can be sorted? Can the pva be sanded off?

Thanks ever so much

Westie

Shoot the tiler, as he shouldn't use PVA, SBR what he needs as pva re emulsify on contact with water. If your dad pvad everything just try wiping it off with a damp sponge or just paint over it with pissy watered down emulsion paint

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks all.

I understand what you're saying about pva under tiles.

With regard to removing it from the walls that need painting, can they be made wet to reactivate the pva to then scrape it off? Alternatively, can paint thinners be used on it, but might this then cause problems with painting?

When tiling what ratio of sbr would you use? always just used the plaster primers but they're a bit pricey

Thanks all.

I understand what you're saying about pva under tiles.

With regard to removing it from the walls that need painting, can they be made wet to reactivate the pva to then scrape it off? Alternatively, can paint thinners be used on it, but might this then cause problems with painting?
I would just paint it. some customers prefer pva to seal the wall before painting rather than a mist coat of emulsion. I wouldn't worry about it marra

I know a lot who seal new plaster with pva, shouldnt be an issue, I know watered down mis coat is better but doubt anything horrible will happen if you paint over the pva

I am a bit confused because the stuff dad used is called 'Evo-Stick Waterproof Pva' suitable for wet conditions and tiling.

I mean, I can't see why it is unsuitable for tiling when it says suitable on container?

With regard to painting over it, dad diluted the PVA 5 parts water to one part PVA. He has done a splash test on it and it seems to still absorb the water. Scared though as everything says not to tile over pva or paint over it on the net!

The wet adhesive that the tiler uses will re emulsifie the pva
So the tiles stick to the pva and not the wall, so don't tile over pva
What you need is an acrylic primer
I'd be concerned the tiler has advised pva
What size are the tiles as there are weight restrictions for fixing to plaster

Sometimes people worry 2 much about wat things say on a bag etc on not wat to do..just bang them on there will be fine ud think we was fixing a space rocket or sumat..i stuck these big arse 8x4 sheets(2) on my shower area there are heavy as f**k and there are stuck on with the adesive I was provided onto 9mm plasterboard..by the book I shudnt of done it but its my house and low and behold there havnt fallen off..long story short tile the f**k*r and stop worrying and give ur mum a cuddle and tell her everything will be ok mummy

Sometimes people worry 2 much about wat things say on a bag etc on not wat to do..just bang them on there will be fine ud think we was fixing a space rocket or sumat..i stuck these big arse 8x4 sheets(2) on my shower area there are heavy as f**k and there are stuck on with the adesive I was provided onto 9mm plasterboard..by the book I shudnt of done it but its my house and low and behold there havnt fallen off..long story short tile the f**k*r and stop worrying and give ur mum a cuddle and tell her everything will be ok mummy
Bloody chancer cutting corners lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk