Raised flower beds - rendering blockwork

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanS

Hi all,
I'm new and hope someone can help.
A landscaper has just built raised beds in blockwork for my daughter, approx. 800mm high.
He has fixed ordinary galvanised angle beads all round and coated the whole lot with a single coat of render about 3mm or 4mm thick maximum.
Will the beads rust and pop the render?
Is such thin render any good or can we expect problems?
Thanks in advance.
Ian.

Either stainless which aint cheap or plastic a wudnt have galvinised as a option daft outdoors using them all sorts of problems , hopefully he used a waterproofer which should give you more time , if the blocks can get wet from the insideit won't take long to rust

I can't see how he can put 3-4mm of render on unless he's used skim beads, galavanised are ok you can still use them outside they won't pop the render

I was just thinking that my self , u couldn't of used floating beads if its that thin ? Landscaper thinkin this looks easy and a easy bit money . . . . . . .

Spunky is right you can use gali beads but if you don't know what your doing and over use the float or sponge your gonna rub the gali off the bead and then it is fooked! This applies just the same on internal work if you over work backing or finishing plaster around the beads So, stainless and pvc are prob best to use for the less experienced and heavy of hand on exterior work but, long term are probably the best. All that said i would rather form an arris where ever i can anyway :RpS_lol:

So why do they make gali bellcast beads then ?

The only reason I can think of is for people that don't/won't use the right gear and to save them missing out on a sale.

Anyway I'm only telling you what they say, I really really don't care what anyone else uses. I've not fixed a galvanised bead outside for probably 15 years or more, even in sheltered areas.

The only reason I can think of is for people that don't/won't use the right gear and to save them missing out on a sale.

Anyway I'm only telling you what they say, I really really don't care what anyone else uses. I've not fixed a galvanised bead outside for probably 15 years or more, even in sheltered areas.
It was only a question cos it seems strange they would make one type gali for a purpose and then say another style is no good but i am sure the manufacturers know best :RpS_thumbup:

Yes mate, interesting point about the bellcast lol we make them but you can't use them apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.