Refina sponge float

Used the sponge again today, starting to like it if I'm honest, left a lovely finish with my new 12 inch trowel. Not sure if I'd take the sponge on site I might get mocked but I think I'll hang on to it for my own work

Buy one of these excellent for skimming, saves flicking water all over the gaff and skim water all over the curtains :)

I bought one in diy store here a year or two ago. Liked it but then the nozzle blocked an pump broke so went back to the brush. Been meaning to buy new one but just got around to it.

Tried out the sponge float today, not sure if I like it or not, I can't say the finish was much better than normal but it wasn't bad. I can see it would be useful if I was losing a set and perhaps with a bit of practice it would be possible to get bigger sets on and achieve bit more meterage knowing that I wouldn't lose the set, but I wasn't overwhelmed. There was a thread a while ago about the best way to clean them in soap powder @zombie was that you? I'll try and find the thread because I've already got small lumps of plaster within the sponge.

You need to change your mindset. f**k getting more on. You need to learn how to get more money for less spread. We don't want you taking another heart attack again.

I know lads on site who splash and sponge as part of the set, 2nd nature to them and they do indeed leave a very pleasing and acceptable finish.

Used the sponge myself for 4 days on a job I recently done this week and have to say I think it left a great finish, I was also commented on my work and how well the finish was.

I was working along side another plasterer who uses it here and there but said can't really get to grips with it but for me it worked well so will be using it again :fuckyou:

Seen videos of that sponge lark,,,,but cant see how that could achieve a better finish than a trowel.
Would need to see it first hand though as i could be wrong.

Seen videos of that sponge lark,,,,but cant see how that could achieve a better finish than a trowel.
Would need to see it first hand though as i could be wrong.
You still use a trowel just sponge it first instead of the brush, it brings the fat to the service. It's the same as everything people work different and either like it or don't.

Sponge is ok, does make 1 coating work well. One artex stipple ceiling, not even a very flat one. Quick scrap with floor scraper, Couple quick coats of pva had lunch:
20170814_135449.jpg

One thick coat, flattened off with speed skim, sponged then flattened with 16inch medi:
20170814_153657.jpg

One trowel medi:
20170814_161105.jpg

One trowel nelaflex 2 14":
20170814_163026.jpg

Cross troweled using a clean nelaflex 2, clean up, done :)
20170814_164636.jpg

It was only a small ceiling (12m2) so no stress at all.

You still use a trowel just sponge it first instead of the brush, it brings the fat to the service. It's the same as everything people work different and either like it or don't.
I take it once you sponged u r straight on. It with steel trowel /medi

I take it once you sponged u r straight on. It with steel trowel /medi
No not straight on, I usually sponge and then clean up all round the edges ect and then maybe flatten off. I then use a refina plaziflex 16" to flatten all the sponge marks out. I only use my steel trowel to put on with.

Video I saw on YouTube he seemed to be sponging when plaster was still quiet wet or does it just wet it up loads

Video I saw on YouTube he seemed to be sponging when plaster was still quiet wet or does it just wet it up loads
I'm certainly not an expert but I waited until the wall was ready for a flatten and then sprayed it a little and sponged it, the prat on YouTube drenches everything with his sprayer he can't put it down.

I'm certainly not an expert but I waited until the wall was ready for a flatten and then sprayed it a little and sponged it, the prat on YouTube drenches everything with his sprayer he can't put it down.
:LOL: Yeah I wait for it to pick up a little as all you going to do is move it around around before it's firmed up. I dip mine in a bucket of water and seems to be fine or just spray as Cornelius said. Then let it pick up a little before flattening in.

@Dandoc your a member since January and haven't posted once.Maybe instead of disagreeing get involved.Oh and if you can make it to Ireland your welcome to come with me and show me how you skim.

I wonder which Pratt u r on about :whistle: