Rendered Front Wall - Design Issue

Members online

rickyquicky

Hi everyone

I'm after a bit of advice, my house has been undergoing refurbishment and will be finished with Weber Pral M (chalk colour) with Cedar cladding.

I want to do the front wall to match, and will have a low level blockwork wall built with 3 piers, and Cedar slats to make a screen inbetween the piers, something like this (colour will match the chalk render, not grey) -

rendered wall.jpg

If I done this in the Weber should it have some waterproofing like coping stones on the tops of the peirs and wall? Something I wanted to avoid.

Alternatively could S+C render, and paint a chalk colour be water resistant enough that I wouldn't need to put coping stones on (could maybe create a slight fall in the render at the tops to allow water run off?)

Any recommendations/ideas/past experience on how to build this wall?

Thanks in advance :)

It doesn’t matter what render you use ,it will stain very quickly on the top without coppings. They shouldn’t be massive and can actually look very smart.

Thanks for your advice vfr, so copings are going to be a neccessity really. Definately thought that would be the case with the Pral M render. Have it in my garden on the back wall (which is the boundary wall to a row of garages) and it all discolours when it rains. Was hoping alternatively painted S+C, maybe with a subtle fall, might just be enough.

Unlikely to work then as I wanted, will look to see the most discrete copings available.

Would you be ok in any case using a monocouche type render for a front wall (with copings)? I want it to match the house. Any precautions/advice you could give? Possibly a clear sealer coat etc. Wasn't sure how suited it would be for a front wall.

Yes no problem using coppings with mono , but ...... what you need to do is not to finish them with the pointing 100%. Leave some space for mastic, this way when it rains it won’t stain.

Thanks for your advice vfr, so copings are going to be a neccessity really. Definately thought that would be the case with the Pral M render. Have it in my garden on the back wall (which is the boundary wall to a row of garages) and it all discolours when it rains. Was hoping alternatively painted S+C, maybe with a subtle fall, might just be enough.

Unlikely to work then as I wanted, will look to see the most discrete copings available.

Would you be ok in any case using a monocouche type render for a front wall (with copings)? I want it to match the house. Any precautions/advice you could give? Possibly a clear sealer coat etc. Wasn't sure how suited it would be for a front wall.
We have a white rendered boundary wall which unfortunately will just never stay white. I've repainted it three times but to no avail and it really is just an eyesore.

My latest thought is to put in a hedge or climbers to hide as much of the wall as possible. As you can see I have a red robin in the corner which hasn't fared too badly in the clay soil but not sure if it will be too big/overbearing to plant this the whole way across. I also have two little ones, one of whom loves to eat anything her hands can touch so I will need to beat that in mind as well.

Any suggestions of plant or alternative approaches would be greatly appreciated.

We have recently finished a modern grand design house on the waterfront at Brightlingsea , Essex. The builder found Cedar too expensive so used a cheaper alternative which will age as silver. We rendered the walls in thin coat finish which gives the same appearance as Mono. Thin coat is faster to finish. The 2 side walls and the front wall was done in different light colours. The rear wall facing the sea , nearly all glass, was done in a mixture of the 3 colours.
As regards the garden walls a green colour would hide the algae stains.