scrapping down Artex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah, scrape it, plaster it, go pub.

I doubt a wee bit of scraping will harm you, its not like your going to sand it! you just send wee chips everywhere. A coule I wirked for the other week told me they'd had it sent off for analysis and it was fine. Thought that was sweet of them.

Is that supposed to be Twirked ,you Twirked for a couple ???

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

They told you that so you'd do it and not charge an arm a leg. It was probably riddled with the stuff....:eek:

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

screw you durex!

(been dying to say that, your name is always durex in my head!) :RpS_lol::RpS_wink:

do you think you could get sued for this? on domestics. say in ten years time you get a letter from a solicitor saying he's representing some bloke who's dying of asbestosis and you scraped his ceiling down without testing ..... :RpS_crying: he worked in a shoe shop or something so he couldn't have contracted it anywhere else .....:RpS_unsure:

I was joking about re artexing it then skim mate :RpS_wink:

On unpainted artex after a scrape & a dust off I use artex sealer then pva or bonding agent.
(yes i know artex sealer isn't for sealing artex :flapper: )
But it does the job :RpS_cool:

Other than that on painted artex after a light scrape pva or bonding agent never had any probs.

If anyone is worried about asbestos just get it tested ffs as said above :RpS_thumbsup:

WTF.........................:RpS_scared:

do you think you could get sued for this? on domestics. say in ten years time you get a letter from a solicitor saying he's representing some bloke who's dying of asbestosis and you scraped his ceiling down without testing ..... :RpS_crying: he worked in a shoe shop or something so he couldn't have contracted it anywhere else .....:RpS_unsure:
Yes, think of everything when doing work, suing is the norm these days,

I would be more concerned with the silica dust in the plasters we use everyday, that is just as harmful, than the small (1-2%) of white asbestos contained in artex.

Even overboard - then how do you deal with Artex ?

just get it tested. me marra works for a local asbestos removal company. ring him up and get it tested. results the same day. then you can make a decision from there. ether float it out if its staying or overboard/skim it if its alreet

erm .... :-(

suppose it could be construed as gross negligence on your part. even though it would be hard to determine if you where directly responsible. just the cost of having to defend it would break you. your public liabilty wouldn't apply:

Asbestos compensation timebomb for academies - SecEd

this is for schools but could set the standard for things to come. it typically takes forty years from exposure to the first malignant cells ...

think i'll use the cavendish laboratories service above from now on. where it needs scraping, that is :RpS_thumbup:

Cavendish laboratories ok thanks will ask them to send me test tubes etc as important stay legal and safe. If test positive - best way is to overboard and skim? Not easy to find the centres ?
Easy, just bash holes in the ceiling to find the joists :RpS_biggrin:

Cavendish laboratories ok thanks will ask them to send me test tubes etc as important stay legal and safe. If test positive - best way is to overboard and skim? Not easy to find the centres ?

no point going to all the botha of getting it tested then bangin holes in the ceiling to find the joists if it comes back positive. If its positive then you shouldnt disturb it (scrap it etc). so you either leave it float it and skim it or tell the customer to get it removed.

or dont get it tested and spray it all with water before you scrap it to keep the dust down or spray it and bang loads of holes in to find the joists and over board it.....................:RpS_thumbsup:

If you're really worried about disturbing it by nailing/screwing to find joists get a strong magnet. It will find the existing nails in the joists.

And seeing as it's Xmas I'll leave that tip in the open (public) section :RpS_thumbup:

simply stick those polystyrene tiles over the offending artex?!! another quality finish :RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.