Self teaching

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
even just pissing about taking gear off you (handboard) hawk and dolloping it on again will help no end :)

Good luck
similar to what i did with the last lad i was teaching i just sent him out into the garden/ rubbish area with a large off cut of plasterboard and a builders bucket of skim and told him to set it over and over again as many times as he could with that bucket, but he had to finish it aswell, he had been watching me for a while though on and off 3 years or so

I will be having a go at all things mentioned :) hopefully the more I try things etc the better will get till I can hop on with someone I'm hoping someone will notice how keen I am and give me a shot I have responsibilities so not going to balls it up but till then I guess ill have to try do what I can to try get ahead :)

Ok mate will do :) thanks

im trying so many every week asking everyone I know if they know of any and also messaging members on here I see that are close and emailing and calling one soon will have something I hope

yes they still produce one bi-yearly i think it is, as they still send me one out as im still on there mailing list.
ive also had loads of lads with me come for days here and there to have ago with machine rendering, i had a fella recently off here come with us,and he found it worth while.

When I was on L&D's forum 3 members on there invited me to watch them do either machine rendering or applying bucket coat. I was most grateful and it got me introduced in the modern rendering techniques. These where enthusiasts who was quite happy to help. Gibbo helped me with a vid as well.

Les Lord also invited me to his place to show me how to set up and use my monejet. If he hand,t it would have ended up in the skip on it's first day.

Lol I am hopefully going to get more people offering to let me come watch Etc but at moment only had a day :) but yea watching and being with a plasterer is without doubt best way if I can get it

Essex, hopefully Ive got a brand new 5 bed house to board/float/skim out in March as long as the guy canb borrow enough money to finish it off. It's almost watertight then just needs first fixing then its all mine,mate of mine. If it goes ahead then you are welcome to come and spend as much time as you want on the job. There will be 2 of us on the job spreading so lots of experience to draw on. I wont pay you or cover your fuel but you can watch as much as you like and ask as many questions as you like.......hell you can even jump on it. Its in Stratford on Avon so a bit of travelling for you but if you can be arsed its there....

Sounds like a great offer if you ask me :) hell you show me stuff ill even man the kettle :) keep me updated if comes up I'd really appreciate your time thank you

Essex, there is nothing wrong with self-teaching IF you have been shown the right way! That is a big IF!
I spent my first 6 months learning knocking up, cleaning up and making tea. But during this time I was WATCHING like a hawk.
The best thing my boss has yet done is to bu**er off on holiday for the whole of December, leaving one of our contacts to use me for his plastering works while he was away. I cannot over emphasise how much I learned in this time!
I respect you for trying as you are.

Good luck.

Hi Essex,

I was initially self taught and although I was competent at skimming and could produce a good finish, the way I handled my hawk and trowel would have looked amateurish compared to a pro. The way I was shown how to skim the top layer off the hawk made me realise that it was kind of like an art form. A pro will also teach you many techniques and the reason why it is done in such a way. You'll also learn what to look out for ie how to know when it's time for a wet trowel etc which is difficult to learn by oneself. You may also find that by teaching yourself you end up playing with the plaster too much instead of letting it pull in before laying it down.

I'm sure you'll learn loads from those guys who have kindly offered to let you watch. Although I didn't know about this forum before I started my course, I'm glad my bad habits were nipped in the bud by my instructor before it became habitual.

Minh

There are two schools of thought on this........unfortunately you're at the wrong school!:RpS_tongue:

you must be at the southern school for the gifted................its a special school for special people..............:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.