Skimming over cracks

Topandtail

Hi,

I have a wall to skim in my sisters house which has a lot of cracking so need some advice on how to prepare the wall.
The top quarter is part lime/horse hair from the late 1800s and part browning/finish from the early 1990s so should be fine to skim over.
Below that is S+C/multi applied by a dpc company a few years ago. There a lot of cracks in this, most are just in the finish but there are a few big ones that go right through the S+C.
The background is sandstone which had tanking applied to it before scratch coat.

What can I do to stop cracks coming back through?

Attachments

• IMG_4972.PNG
    IMG_4972.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_4969.PNG
    IMG_4969.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_4971.PNG
    IMG_4971.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_4970.PNG
    IMG_4970.PNG
    1,009 KB · Views: 1,003
Hi,

I have a wall to skim in my sisters house which has a lot of cracking so need some advice on how to prepare the wall.
The top quarter is part lime/horse hair from the late 1800s and part browning/finish from the early 1990s so should be fine to skim over.
Below that is S+C/multi applied by a dpc company a few years ago. There a lot of cracks in this, most are just in the finish but there are a few big ones that go right through the S+C.
The background is sandstone which had tanking applied to it before scratch coat.

What can I do to stop cracks coming back through?

have you got any pics of your sister ??
and il tell you how to fix it !!

Attachments

• 20170108_181704.jpg
    20170108_181704.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 952
  • 20170210_161101.jpg
    20170210_161101.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 711
  • 20170210_162520.jpg
    20170210_162520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 840
  • 20170211_133756.jpg
    20170211_133756.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 670
  • 20170211_133733.jpg
    20170211_133733.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 710
What do you mean by mesh? Galv or the stuff used in render?
Not too worried about cost just want to make a good job of it.

chisel out the big cracks and bond. pre grit the wall. scrim tape smaller cracks. put bonding in your first coat of finish, then normal finish for second coat.

if you're doing a re skim you can never guarantee against cracks but we swear by bonding in the first coat on old walls

Found this in display of bits n pieces from Spanish Inquisition times in Córdoba today.
If ever there was a good reason for skimming over a crack this would be it :sorprendido3:
IMG_6466.JPG

Can only presume this was for some form of crack filling too:estudioso:
IMG_6490.JPG
Ahhh the church such a jolly bunch always condemning some poor sod whilst doing feck knows what in the background.

How much bonding in first coat? Pre grit -do you mean bond-it?
yeah but you can buy pre grit that isn't bond-it for much cheaper. few big handfuls of bonding in mix help with hairline cracks i've found. the cracks don't look so huge you couldn't just chisel them and bond, don't have to make a huge chasm but don't want to argue flynnys point as he is more experienced than I. (but that's what i'd do).

Where the "through crack"is, take a chisel, cut a 3'x7' (.900x2.1) hole in the wall.........and put a door it it!!
Tadah!
You are welcome..........taaaxxxi!!

Easiest way I find to put it on , is cut strips to length first . Then pva walls then when holding the mesh up pva again over it sticks like a dream with a roller of course a little time consuming but best option like stu says if moneys tight and you dont want to re-board.

Easiest way I find to put it on , is cut strips to length first . Then pva walls then when holding the mesh up pva again over it sticks like a dream with a roller of course a little time consuming but best option like stu says if moneys tight and you dont want to re-board.
So I don't need to bed it into first coat of plaster then?
Was gonna get a roll from CCF tomorrow. What am I asking for is it just render mesh or is there a known brand name that's good?

So I don't need to bed it into first coat of plaster then?
Was gonna get a roll from CCF tomorrow. What am I asking for is it just render mesh or is there a known brand name that's good?
No the plaster sets to quick the time you fanny about with it I've tried it a couple of ways find that's the best .. i was using K rend mesh little expensive but really good quality .. Just don't get cheap mesh for like 30 from eBay it's crap.