Skimming this wall (piccies attached)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiling on bonding, just the type of advice we should be giving a DYEr who has come on the forum asking a genuine question who actualy dosent want his bathroom fcuked up
The bathroom companys we work for round here only ever ask for the walls to be bonded when it's getting tiled. As long it's on nice and level and the tiler preps it properly is it not a waste of time skimmimg it? We do a lot of kitchens and the worst walls to plaster are the ones where it's been skimmed before it's been tiled and when the tiles have come off it leaves the walls a mess as a lot of the skim comes away with the tiles. Not a tiler myself so don't know much about the adhesive sticking to bonding but only going on what i'm asked to do from fitters/tilers.

Yes,that's a possibility Fatarm but looking at his pic the bath is already in situ so adding something like aquapanels onto existing plaster + your tiles you would be losing quite a bit of the lip on bath but I see no reason not to do what you suggest,but remove the old plaster first.

The bathroom companys we work for round here only ever ask for the walls to be bonded when it's getting tiled. As long it's on nice and level and the tiler preps it properly is it not a waste of time skimmimg it? We do a lot of kitchens and the worst walls to plaster are the ones where it's been skimmed before it's been tiled and when the tiles have come off it leaves the walls a mess as a lot of the skim comes away with the tiles. Not a tiler myself so don't know much about the adhesive sticking to bonding but only going on what i'm asked to do from fitters/tilers.
BG say that you cannot tile onto backing plasters, ime not saying that it isnt done and that it fails evrey time ime just saying that if it does fail its down to you as the spec states you cant do it so not good advice to give on the forum.

You can but you must prime first, Grupo Puma a Spanish manufacturer do make a cement based addy that you can put on a gypsum background.

Hi,

Can i resurrect this post again please?

I've been filling the holes where the old skim fell off. Did this with bonding and then keyed it up ready. It's obviously dried quick because the holes weren't deep.

Having put a feather edge on the wall, i've noticed it runs out at the far end and will need a large piece of bonding to level it out for tiling. I'm going to pva as usual, apply the bonding, level out, devil scratch, and then skim over on the same day.

My questions:
1) Can I skim on top of bonding as soon as it's changing colour (setting)?
2) The bonding I've already done so far is bone dry. Should I pva it 5:1 a couple of times, and then pva it 3:1 and skim when tacky? Or just soak it with water?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Hi,

Can i resurrect this post again please?

I've been filling the holes where the old skim fell off. Did this with bonding and then keyed it up ready. It's obviously dried quick because the holes weren't deep.

Having put a feather edge on the wall, i've noticed it runs out at the far end and will need a large piece of bonding to level it out for tiling. I'm going to pva as usual, apply the bonding, level out, devil scratch, and then skim over on the same day.

My questions:
1) Can I skim on top of bonding as soon as it's changing colour (setting)?
2) The bonding I've already done so far is bone dry. Should I pva it 5:1 a couple of times, and then pva it 3:1 and skim when tacky? Or just soak it with water?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
I Would just pva it once(the dried out bonding) at 5/1, you can skim the bonding(newly applied) once it has gone hard on the same day

Last edited:
If its more than a day old bonding and little patches I'd use the pva 1-1 with water one coat of 5-1 will craze it's not strong enough

Cheers for replies.

Is the point of pva here to limit the suction or create a bond? Only I find that pva dies nice and slowly and sticky on plaster and paint, but on bonding or s&c it seems to just soak in without getting tacky. Make sense?

Cheers for replies.

Is the point of pva here to limit the suction or create a bond? Only I find that pva dies nice and slowly and sticky on plaster and paint, but on bonding or s&c it seems to just soak in without getting tacky. Make sense?

its for both really..

Tiling on bonding, just the type of advice we should be giving a DYEr who has come on the forum asking a genuine question who actualy dosent want his bathroom fcuked up

there is totally nothing wrong with tiling over a bonding coat and wont fcuk up the bathroom, its a time saver and is a genuine answer to a genuine question. if you have had a bathroom fcuked up then time to try tiling as a profession.:glare:

you should never tile onto backing plasters say bg and you can plaster over the fresh bonding after around an hour with no priming, also consideration should be taken into the weight of the tiles going onto reskimmed walls especially painted walls.

there is totally nothing wrong with tiling over a bonding coat and wont fcuk up the bathroom, its a time saver and is a genuine answer to a genuine question. if you have had a bathroom fcuked up then time to try tiling as a profession.:glare:
Dont know what you are on about mate, BRITISH GYPSUM state that you cannot tile on any of there BACKING PLASTERS read the thread properly and you will see what i said you thick c**t and by the way i do tiling as a proffession amongst a few other things though my plastering is **** of late.

Dont know what you are on about mate, BRITISH GYPSUM state that you cannot tile on any of there BACKING PLASTERS read the thread properly and you will see what i said you thick c**t and by the way i do tiling as a proffession amongst a few other things though my plastering is **** of late.
Pva is also a good sealer before tiling or use uni finish for piece of mind eh lucius lol:RpS_wink:

Don't use bonding in a bathroom acts like a sponge to water and breaks down just scrape it uni bond it and pull a coat of multi over it flatten that coat down then let it pick up then lay it down with another coat the trowel that up and that will be fine to tile on .have u got a cavity if no then that is another reason not to use bonding

Multi will only take 20kg m2 weight of tiles addy and grout so what you are saying will only be ok with small ceramics and dangerous with large format tiles according to manufactureres spec anyway

Be careful using bonding on external wall especially if liable to some breathing if an old house or damp.ie bathrooms if using make sure you seal it well and do a good grout job on the tiles.best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.