soot stains!!!!

Members online

puckoon

hi all, what would be the best method, in your opinion, to stop soot stains coming through, once a chimney breast has been removed.
your procedure to from start to finish.
cheers, alan

no problem. mine wasnt that helpful because the chimney was removed and the batten would bring it out too much. but my heart was in the right place. if you did use a membrane you could use whitewall over it

if poss dot and dab the whole wall, as the chimney breast will be built in brickwork the rest of the wall may be blockwork, this would hide any material cracks.
if not a membrane with eml to stop bleed through.

if poss dot and dab the whole wall, as the chimney breast will be built in brickwork the rest of the wall may be blockwork, this would hide any material cracks.
if not a membrane with eml to stop bleed through.
The last line is brilliant, wish I'd thought of it ryan ,fibre.

Trying to find a remedy for my similar issue.

Can someone explain eml please?

I'm going to remove infected plaster then dehumidifier room for bit so looking for ideas to think about.

Many thanks

Wire brush Sbr and render with old school sand n cement render no less than 4 sand and one cement works a treat. Don't stress ammonia smell when applying sbr and other option is blah board blah skim blah blah zzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for the great information. Not really seeing how the eml would do anything I agree. Sounds like removing plaster to brick work is the way. More dust love it!!

Obviously I'm going to be over careful with removing Plaster..im assuming acro/pillars are not really required between ceiling and floor? But would you prop up with wood between plaster sections I remove? It's right next to a what looks like a poorly (doubt it's properly bricked up) unused fire place.

Cheers again

The attached pic is my bleeding walls!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    878.8 KB · Views: 1,226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 1,112
Is it vitally important to remove the soot infected walls from the other side of chimney/walls before I get my room rectified?
Two bedrooms with a chimney stack inbetween them.

Just want to try get my room done as brother is making zero progress with moving his clothes or furniture or sealing the area ready for me to get the plaster removed! :/

Many thanks

You can get soot blocker like a spray paint.
Used it a few times never had any problems otherwise use a membrane and battan

Hi
I pulled all old crap off and got mate to re render and skim fully with SBR sand cement mix etc

Seems to all be ok and the smell gone too :)

Don't mind covering some things but some jobs should be done fully properly. Just definitely get a decent mask and goggles!