1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Stilts stilts stilts

Discussion in 'The Plasterers Forum Tool Talk' started by Natwasere, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

Hi all, as much as I don't like stilts they seem to be a big part of my life this year. Had a pair of Durastilts 10ish years ago (18" - 36") and they were pretty good until later years and then one day they just went missing. Brought a pair of el cheapo ones from the bay (18" - 36") as wasnt plastering fulltime and had no intetest in using stilts much, but although they work Ok they don't exactly fill me with confidence with all the creeking they do, the soles are literally wearing out with every step leaving black marks across the floor and feel pretty well crap..... So just wondered what stilts people use and are they any good?

2. algeeman

algeeman Private Member

none of them last long ....but your better with them than without in my opinion....but im house bashing.

3. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

I use cheapos, foxhunter or something, kms. They were 55 quid, think they were up to 65 or 70 now, use them regularly enough, they aren't too bad. Soles are wearing out, but not hard to get replacement soles if needed. Think am gona have to get 24-40s too, for seem to do more ceilings the 18-30s just don't reach. Though I'm not exactly looking forward to that, mine up full height are enough lol

4. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

Doesn't pay on price to gather up tressles and planks to scaffold the bastards. Handier to bounce up on the old stilts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

Think mine are the foxhunter ones too. Ceiling I did today had stilts at full height and still a bit short....... But I'm not going higher ...... no way ..... them ceilings are usually through builders anyway so they can board it out or whatever not higher on stilts lol

6. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

Well if they will do that mate, sweet lol but if ur only up a wee bit ur not too bad. Better than stretching. If that was the bigger ones u were on, u would only have been up about 3holes for ur ceiling today and they wouldn't be as rattley lol

7. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

Carobyn Durastilts from what i have read over the years have been the most popular or at least the best reviews

8. bill

bill Member

I've had the same durastilts since 1999, just need to replace the straps every so often. They cost me £335 plus vat

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. duke163

duke163 Active Member

I've had my durastilts from the 90's too , badly in need of new straps all round and one of the springs snapped the other day but still work.

10. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

I've tried most of em but my durastilts are the best in my eyes

11. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Being 6'6 I've got stilts built in. Lol!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

Any one tried them MT ones that look different to all the rest?

13. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

The sky walker ones., the one bar into the foot looking bit? I haven't, hli have heard they are more awkward of you're used. To the other ones because it the spring position is on the other side that other ones, no idea though, they could be really good once get hang of them. I don't even like the double legged stilts, I prefer the single ones, although the strap can be uncomfortable sometimes.

14. TonyM

TonyM Private Member

Just sold my Durastilts to an apprentice plasterer for £50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

I sold a set of double stilts a few. Years ago for fifty quid. Not sure the make. I've seen them go for 275 new, if not them, Damn Damn near them.

16. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

I bought second hand dura stilts 10+ years ago for £50 - 80 can't remember now but they where like new and sounds like that was a bargain. I didn't know that though as I had never seen stilts before......... Just wish I knew where they was now.

17. TonyM

TonyM Private Member

I paid £85 for mine over 10 yes ago. They'd been tried on by the original owner, who promptly s**t his pants, and never put them on again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

I've fallen off mine twice. Once stood on a bit of plasterboard and it tipped me over and once caught up in dust sheets and landed in a bin. Up high I s**t myself regularly lol

19. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

proves my point :D

20. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

Haven't yet
    , touch wood, but a few stumbles, slipped on a tile floor but mortar board saved me lol don't Intend too but Yea higher up I go less sure I am. Need o obstacles and good clean flat floor. Not great when the slabs are different heights, can take the wind out ur sails a bit lol

21. choppa

choppa Active Member

I got couple pairs of these a set was given to me after the builder broke his arm on them :lol: I like them but most of them time il use a hop up.

22. choppa

choppa Active Member

I bet your really 4'11 :bailando::burlas:

23. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Lol. That's the measurement of my middle leg mate. Just call me tripod! :risas::coffe:

24. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

25. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

These are the best hands down

26. Simon85

Simon85 Active Member

Dont like doubles at all, don't know why but can't get onto them at all lol. Sold a used set of them for 50quod coz couldn't use em lol

27. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

28. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

Yeah never seen these double sided ones before.... look stable though