stucco over rigid foam board

Status
Not open for further replies.

123randy321

I live in Michigan, building code says basements need to be R-10 minimum. I am installing 2" rigid foam against the 8' exterior poured cement basement walls. This foam will be buried by backfill except for the top 1'-2'. I would like to stucco this exposure for lack of any better ideas. My problems are several;

1) Does anything go over the exposed foam before stucco like tar paper?

2) I plan on using wire stucco lath but how is it attached to the cement walls through the foam?

3) Should there be a gap between the foam and wire lath to bond the stucco to?

4) How is this gap controlled?

5) What is going to keep the foam from flexing and cracking the stucco? I can glue the tops of each foam sheet to the cement but will this be enough? Foam glue is not the most impressive stuff.

6) Answers to all the questions I am to dumb to ask :)

I have considered attaching treated 2"x2"x2' strips in slots cut in the foam approx. 16" apart using cement screws then attaching the wire lath to them - best idea to date. I am an experienced builder but I have never stucco'ed before.

I welcome all comments from small to large to a completely different approach.

Thank you in advance

Randy

That guy in Seattle should know,Loren I think his name is.He's posted a bit here,seems to know his stuff.

Okay, a long time ago back when I was an employee I worked for a swimming pool company for a time. The bosses son was building an underground house and they had me over there stuccoing the one exposed side of the house. They had 5" ridged foam on the outside
DSCN6379 copy.png
that I had to anchor casings & metal lath to. It was a huge major pain. They had me roto hammer through the foam and into the gunnite wall below and anchor off the lath with 6" concrete anchors, that must have been real expensive, and all those penetrations must have leaked some coldness into the concrete below. So anyway it dawned on me when I first read this thread why couldn't you use mastic to glue cement board onto the foam and then finish the cement board with some Dryvit or equivalent type of materials, you could even use the Dryvit base coat with embedded fiberglass screen, second coat it, sand it and then coat it with gray Milestone and it would look like concrete. http://www.evergreenbp.com/milestone-skimstone-finishes/ The picture is a couple of foundation walls that I finished with a gray Milestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.