1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Tile direct to moisture board???

Discussion in 'DIY Plastering - Plastering Help - DIY Plastering ' started by jc2581, Aug 10, 2017.

1. jc2581

jc2581 New Member

I have just applied moisture board to my bathroom using wall adhesive. All of the boards are all flat and straight and I was wondering if I would be able to tile straight onto the boards or do they need skimming first?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. gps

gps Private Member

Tile away my friend

3. Olican

Olican Private Member

Concur tile away

4. Hawk&Trowel

Hawk&Trowel New Member

Get the tiles on.

5. bopper

bopper Active Member

I know you guys say tile away but this is the reason why bond it was made !!you are ment to apply bond it on moisture boards before you skim it @Vincey might know better......

6. gps

gps Private Member

But we never said skim it did we ? We said tile it silly.

FYI I have skimmed many moisture boards and have never had a failure.

Also FYI they can poke bond it where the sun doesn't shine at their prices

7. gps

gps Private Member

Btw why might @Vincey no better than the rest of us ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. bopper

bopper Active Member

Lol,being the bg guy ye know what I mean.......:risas:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bopper

bopper Active Member

Gps man no offence ment buddy ,am in total agreement with you I wouldn't even use moisture boards tbh,and FYI wether you skim it or tile it or anything else going by the book if your adding moisture to it you should treat it!:whistle:,just use normal boards ffs......

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

It's up to the tiler :whistle:

I'd tile it though like olican said

11. malc

malc Private Member

our local tiler applies pva with a sponge to every backing. he fits the tile in position then removes it to make sure that the adhesive a touched the wall completely. other tilers think this is over the top but this is just what he does.

12. gps

gps Private Member

none taken.

bond it is just a bonding agent not a waterproofing agent, so are you or bg saying before tiling it also needs bond it ? @Vincey ?

13. bopper

bopper Active Member

Going by bg tech sheet yes you should if your applying anything wet, us as experienced tradesmen know what we can and can't do imo if I were going to tile it I would just use normal 1/2 inch boards tho

14. gps

gps Private Member

so its purpose is what then lol should it not come pre prepped in that case, because its not like we have to use pva or bond it on normal board

15. bopper

bopper Active Member

To help it bond my friend ,you said it yourself it's a bonding agent

16. bopper

bopper Active Member

Just a money making skam bud if you use moisture boards you should also spend nearly £70 to treat it !!

17. malc

malc Private Member

it is only moisture resistant board.
    if i required a backing to receive tiles i would use a cement backer board. moisture resistant board is designed to be taped and jointed that is why it is tapered edge.

18. Olican

Olican Private Member

Where's the forum tiling moderator when you need him? Cassioooo

• Like Like x 1
  19. gps

gps Private Member

but does it need bond it to tile onto ? as is being said

20. bopper

bopper Active Member

Here here he surely is the man to ask.....

21. gps

gps Private Member

in which case why do we not have to use bond it on all other boards ?

22. bopper

bopper Active Member

Going round in circles here aren't we bud

23. gps

gps Private Member

just looking for clarification on more BS

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bopper

bopper Active Member

On Monday I shall ring bg and put it to them let's see what the official route is....

• Like Like x 1
  25. malc

malc Private Member

one of our pals is a rep for tile adhesive and he states that it is never the adhesive at fault. the problems start when people try to dub out with adhesive.

i would not apply grit bond to green board for tiling. if you skim a pores material like plaster onto a moisture board it may cease to be moisture resistant.

26. gps

gps Private Member

I thought that was the case if you skim moisture board it no longer acts as a moisture board.

27. jc2581

jc2581 New Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

Just to clarify, do I start tiling or do I need to deal/bond the boards before putting tile adhesive on?!

28. bopper

bopper Active Member

Just tile it buddy ,it will be ok .

29. mashman

mashman Active Member

Moisture board isnt supposed to be skimmed. It defeats the whole object of the board. If it is to be skimmed then it must be pva'd as a mate of mine when he didnt do the boards in the shower area at lancs cricket ground .It all shelled off.

30. choppa

choppa Active Member

Just tile the already!

31. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Tile it! Tile it!Tile it!......
    Or don't.......
    Your choice.

32. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

But he uses PVA...... that's not a good primer for tiling wet areas..... bit like using it to render outside..... it 're emulsifies..... not saying that it doesn't get used but it's highly not recommended for tiling