Towing a trailer

Members online

Who here understands the towing rules?

I want to put my 2 bikes on a trailer and tow them....

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/towing-a-caravan/

According to this I can tow as long as I am under 3500 kgs... so my car weighs 2tonne which will give me tonne and half spare to tow including the trailer....

Have a read that right?

If that is the case then I can also tow my kit car and bikes on the same trailer :) but somehow I think I am wrong

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Be warned tho, you must have the trailer part on your liscense. I took my test about ten years ago and can't pull a trailor. I've never had a problem yet...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Also the 3.5 limit includes the laden weight of your vehicle, not the empty I believe...

With a B license you can tow a single axle trailer, twin or triple axle needs an E license

Be warned tho, you must have the trailer part on your liscense. I took my test about ten years ago and can't pull a trailor. I've never had a problem yet...

yeah thats only if it is over 3500 kgs.... from what I have read

Also the 3.5 limit includes the laden weight of your vehicle, not the empty I believe...

yes so if I got pulled over and drove onto a weigh bridge I would need to weigh less than 3500 kgs

It's 3500 gross Weight,
If you did your test after 1997 you can only pull a trailer up to 750k gross,any more and you require a trailer license, regardless of the rest of the weight of what your towing it with.

It's 3500 gross Weight,
If you did your test after 1997 you can only pull a trailer up to 750k gross,any more and you require a trailer license, regardless of the rest of the weight of what your towing it with.

hmmmm contradictory again... I am going to have a look on a gov website and see

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Licences issued from 1 January 1997
If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

I know because our diesel pump is 740 so just under and I did my test in 98.

how heavy is the van towing it?

even off the gov website it reads like I could drive my car and trailer fully loaded and as long as it is under 3500 it is legal... trailer can weigh 1000kg or whatever...

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM <==== to me that means I can drive a 3500kg van and tow a trailer no heavier than 750KGs
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg <==== to me that means I can drive a 2000kg van and tow a trailer no heavier than 1500KGs
Might have to phone a professional :D

What kit car and bikes you got? Me n friend have a puma track car and Iv just bought a Harley Davidson low rider s this year. Had quite a few bikes over the years though

I also did my test many years ago and am allowed to drive diggers and tractors. I'm not sure how to start a tractor or a diggers and as for which lever to pull... I'm also allowed to ride a motorbike up to 125cc ... i can't pedal that fast though so....

This is my Kit car :D Built it in 2003 :D

20170722_175727.jpg

This is my BMW S1000xr

20170424_133528.jpg

This is my Honda CRF250L

20170712_154921.jpg

While I am at it I may as well show you the BMW z4 Coupe as well :D

IMG_8754.JPG

I am a petrol head I think :D

What kit car and bikes you got? Me n friend have a puma track car and Iv just bought a Harley Davidson low rider s this year. Had quite a few bikes over the years though

As in a ford Puma? They were under rated as a car :D I am after a track car and track bike next year but will see how much time this baby thing takes up :D

Do you get much time on track?

I also did my test many years ago and am allowed to drive diggers and tractors. I'm not sure how to start a tractor or a diggers and as for which lever to pull... I'm also allowed to ride a motorbike up to 125cc ... i can't pedal that fast though so....

I think you still need to do a CBT though for the 125cc bike :D

It sucks the restrictions on my license to be honest... I may just take some extra tests to cover me as I want to buy a low loader at some point :D

I had a z4m coupe for a while great car, probly the most fun to drive excluding a vxr220 I had for a while. That's the ktm450 I had but shattered my wrist on it so went back to trials. And that's the Harley I got over Xmas. Full blown petrol head here too

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 313
The ktm, we don't use the puma much to be honest we're on about selling it, it's only worth around £1100 it's a bargain

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 295
Passed my test in 1991 and just started towing caravan, tbh I was considering going on a course anyway as reversing is an art but feel I've near enough cracked it now, does feel strange driving down motorway though as everyone is over taking me all the time , even lorries and buses , but it is relaxing tbf

I had a z4m coupe for a while great car, probly the most fun to drive excluding a vxr220 I had for a while. That's the ktm450 I had but shattered my wrist on it so went back to trials. And that's the Harley I got over Xmas. Full blown petrol head here too

the z4m coupe is what I wanted but the only few I could find were high milers and tatty.... the 3.0si that I have has only done 40K miles :D so should be a good investment :D

I had a KTM but man that thing cost me money and was soooo damn unreliable..... :D

the z4m coupe is what I wanted but the only few I could find were high milers and tatty.... the 3.0si that I have has only done 40K miles :D so should be a good investment :D

I had a KTM but man that thing cost me money and was soooo damn unreliable..... :D
I wish I'd kept that z4 I only paid 15k for it with 40k on the clock it would have been worth over 20 grand now but the mrs got pregnant so it had to go

Passed my test in 1991 and just started towing caravan, tbh I was considering going on a course anyway as reversing is an art but feel I've near enough cracked it now, does feel strange driving down motorway though as everyone is over taking me all the time , even lorries and buses , but it is relaxing tbf
:mad:Not relaxing for all the car drivers that get stuck behind you on narrow country roads .GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

how heavy is the van towing it?

even off the gov website it reads like I could drive my car and trailer fully loaded and as long as it is under 3500 it is legal... trailer can weigh 1000kg or whatever...

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM <==== to me that means I can drive a 3500kg van and tow a trailer no heavier than 750KGs
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg <==== to me that means I can drive a 2000kg van and tow a trailer no heavier than 1500KGs
Might have to phone a professional :D

Just remember this is MAM...... I think that's like gross. I have had this one many times through towing sand around (same age as you) You need a trailer plated low enough.

You can't tow a trailer plated at 3500kg even if it's not loaded.

This is a minefield for problems tbh