What timber to batten wall

trogg

Hello,
I'm renovating an old property, although the walls look good a lot of the original plaster has lifted off the original brickwork, so my options are to remove the plaster and dot and dab or batten it and screw the board to it.
I prefer to do the latter, so what timber do you recommend ? I was thinking of using 25x50mm roofing battens

Ta

Hello,
I'm renovating an old property, although the walls look good a lot of the original plaster has lifted off the original brickwork, so my options are to remove the plaster and dot and dab or batten it and screw the board to it.
I prefer to do the latter, so what timber do you recommend ? I was thinking of using 25x50mm roofing battens

Ta

employ a plasterer.

Hello,

Ta

I have to say I would get someone in... could get costly and still not look perfect

I usually dot and dab tapered board then tape and fill, with lath and plaster walls and ceilings I just screw through the plaster into the joist/stud .
if the walls have loose plaster I will hack it all off and dot and dab however it's very messy and in this case some of the plaster is ok and would be a pain to remove.
Can't skim it without repairing it first so I thought it would be easier to batten it and screw the plasterboard to this.

I can plaster rather than tape and fill however it would take me a day to do one wall .... or I could do two walls and a day to sand it flat ......