Why would Venetian Plaster be peeling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBruvOfEnglandUK

Private Member
New member here. Hello from Spain.

I went to look at a bathroom a few days ago. The customer had some Venetian plastering done by another builder about a year ago but it is peeling off. They had the fella around to repair some of it but the repair looks a mess so now they don't want him back. They have asked me ifI can get it redone. I can't actualy do Venetian plastering but I would do the preparation and get somebody else to do the plastering.
The surface that the plaster is on is a sponge finished fine mortar so the Venetian plaster has plenty to key to but the Venetian plaster peels off easily. I'm thinking that the fine mortar was primed with the wrong material?

Wrong primer used in the 1st place id go for.Its normally ok used in bathrooms, as long as its sealed/waxed properly.

I suppose the render needs hacking off or at least enough render off to get rid of the primer?
No mate, it needs preping properley and can be re done easily! Do u know what type of venitian plastering it was ie smooth and shiney? stone looking ect? It will need the wax removeing and also the flakey bits (wire wool and sand paper), re primeing in the correct material and then put back on to suit your clients needs. Some times the plaster can flake when its been over burnished (polished) when the plaster is still wet also you may have to ask the cowboy who did it what colour he used and who supplied it as you might end up doing the full bathroom again... more money for xmas i supose

No mate, it needs preping properley and can be re done easily! Do u know what type of venitian plastering it was ie smooth and shiney? stone looking ect? It will need the wax removeing and also the flakey bits (wire wool and sand paper), re primeing in the correct material and then put back on to suit your clients needs. Some times the plaster can flake when its been over burnished (polished) when the plaster is still wet also you may have to ask the cowboy who did it what colour he used and who supplied it as you might end up doing the full bathroom again... more money for xmas i supose
The whole bathroom including the floor and shower tray is going to be redone. I can charge the client, daywork for the preperation to be sure it gets done properly but I want to be sure that I know what I have to do to get it ready. This is where advice from you guys is essential because I know nothing about Venetian plaster. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure the surface is ready to be redone. How do I remove the wax?

The Venetian plaster currently on the wall is smooth and shiny.
I had a microcement and Venetian plaster fella come and give me a price for redoing it if I do the preparation. He said that it may not have been primed with the right stuff and that the Venetian plaster was too thin. He recommended to have it redone in microcement instead of Venetian plaster.

Remove the wax by using sand paper and wire wool, make sure u take the sheen right off to leave a dull un-shiney finish with no flakey bits. He would say that because hes prob more confident with that material but the bottem line is, it depends on the style of finish the paying customer wants. Take ur time with the preperation and a good waxing/sealing will be the key to this job. As for the floor and shower tray hmmm. Where is this job spain or england ?

The job is in Spain.
The floor and shower tray have not peeled but are not nicely done so they really need to be done at the same time as the walls. It will also make it easier to persuade them to have a change of colour. It's a small room and dark grey at the moment. I would like to see a much lighter colour in there.
The customers are open to ideas about wall finishes but definitely don't want tiles.
Thanks for the info, mate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.