work on flooded home

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
Who is taking the slack up on all this extra work, is this all taking up by the insurer,s teams of workers.

When we had floods up here in Morpeth a few year back it was all done by contractors by the insurance compaines............the work was shoddy the prices was over the top and the only businesses who made money locally was the builder merchants and skip companies..........local trades didnt get a sniff.

Mate of mine managed to get the chance to estimate for the refurb of the downstairs of a property and he came in 8K under the price of the company that got the job............................:rolleyes)

8k under arti and ibet he still would of made a profit m8.just shows how much these big scumbag companys make make u sick bud.

the work is given to a loss adjuster, he then decides what is needed. the work is then handed out to a builder. the loss adjuster is paid 10% of the costs of the work, so he may ask you to keep your quote on the high side!

They are pushing for all new plastering in possible flooding areas to be done with renovating or suchlike,makes sense or not?

i cant see why gypsum plasters cant be used like for like swap its not like its rising damp etc.............its flood water

Mind of information john:RpS_thumbsup: 1974 and 78 flynnman a lot of cleethorpes was under 3' water good money to be had then bit like the klondike in them days.
My point is this work never gets put out to tender or the likes.

Mind of information john:RpS_thumbsup: 1974 and 78 flynnman a lot of cleethorpes was under 3' water good money to be had then bit like the klondike in them days.
My point is this work never gets put out to tender or the likes.
Definitely the old boys network, brown envelopes, right handshake, locals should be allowed to tender.

@henry I was praying for floods I do every year lol and I don't care if my house gets it coz that means so did next door :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very rare local lads get insurance work. Not the big stuff anyway. When I was doing it we were everywhere. Brum Leicester wolvo telford northampton Worcester. Did 1 or 2 jobs in cov.

theres a few reasons why it goes to the big boys, direct from the insurance companies-before subbies get involved.
the main reason is that the insurers will want to deal with one outfit not tons of individuals, even though dealing with tons of individuals would be cheaper intheory, the maintanence firm will just have a standard contract to do all the insurers work for a certain period of time.
secondly the amount of criteria that you would need to fulfil,ie big turnovers to deal with the volume of work, previous evidence of similar works, every cert going CHAS, gas safe etc etc.
I had a similar set up with a big outfit a nationwide group of shopfitters. to carry out there redemial works for a contract they had with Barclays Bank in the north east. Basically I had the contract for any plastering or rendering for them for 2011. so every time there was any plastering work needed or rendering, [they also upgraded a few branches as well] we did it in about an 80 mile radius including Newcastle, Middlesbrough, sunderland etc, about 60 branches. plastering I subbed out, rendering we did ourselves.
The money was very good and very lucrative, the prices that we got direct would stagger you but I didn't want to be considered for the rolling contract again as they changed there terms to 90 days and I didn't want to be exposed to big a mounts of money at the time, and the gig game to an end.

theres a few reasons why it goes to the big boys, direct from the insurance companies-before subbies get involved.
the main reason is that the insurers will want to deal with one outfit not tons of individuals, even though dealing with tons of individuals would be cheaper intheory, the maintanence firm will just have a standard contract to do all the insurers work for a certain period of time.
secondly the amount of criteria that you would need to fulfil,ie big turnovers to deal with the volume of work, previous evidence of similar works, every cert going CHAS, gas safe etc etc.
I had a similar set up with a big outfit a nationwide group of shopfitters. to carry out there redemial works for a contract they had with Barclays Bank in the north east. Basically I had the contract for any plastering or rendering for them for 2011. so every time there was any plastering work needed or rendering, [they also upgraded a few branches as well] we did it in about an 80 mile radius including Newcastle, Middlesbrough, sunderland etc, about 60 branches. plastering I subbed out, rendering we did ourselves.
The money was very good and very lucrative, the prices that we got direct would stagger you but I didn't want to be considered for the rolling contract again as they changed there terms to 90 days and I didn't want to be exposed to big a mounts of money at the time, and the gig game to an end.

Hi Owls,

Really don't mean this to be misconstrued but im always genuinely impressed with your contracts/cv at again without sounding patronising at a youngish age.

Do you mind me asking have you been guided into the game through family etc or are you just a real go getter/ right place right time/ made it happen kind of guy etc?

Genuinely, genuinely meant as praise mate!

Zombie:RpS_thumbup:

Hi Owls,

Really don't mean this to be misconstrued but im always genuinely impressed with your contracts/cv at again without sounding patronising at a youngish age.

Do you mind me asking have you been guided into the game through family etc or are you just a real go getter/ right place right time/ made it happen kind of guy etc?

Genuinely, genuinely meant as praise mate!

Zombie:RpS_thumbup:

that's it, im making you chairman of my fan club. ha youre a winner.

nah all of the above what you said really,

started off sweeping floors and loading out for plasterers when I was 17,
id just dropped out of doing a levels .then I got an apprenticeship at 17, worked on books for a few firms, until I was mid 20's.then started subbing as a one man band jut plastering, got sick of day rates and average meterage rates, so cut the middleman out and went direct for a fairly big house builder in our area, whilst there was money in plastering up until start of 2009 when it went through floor. I then lost nearly everying id worked for had to remortgage etc as the firm id got in with, went bust. rates were then poor,and couldn't get continuity of site work, so I went van driving for 6 month, then came back and got into rendering etc etc.

combination of right time, knowing different people, having a bit of drive, putting money where your mouth is., and luck I guess.
Im not some massive big outfit like, theres only a handful of us, i just keep plodding on.

didn't want to be a spread knackered at 50 with nothing to show for it, so ive given it a go, that and generally have an interest in what you, im generally interested in rendering and products on the market and different techniques that come with it. some lads are happy to tick over or what ever, that's fine isn't it, but id just rather give it a push.

that's it, im making you chairman of my fan club. ha youre a winner.

nah all of the above what you said really,

started off sweeping floors and loading out for plasterers when I was 17,
id just dropped out of doing a levels .then I got an apprenticeship at 17, worked on books for a few firms, until I was mid 20's.then started subbing as a one man band jut plastering, got sick of day rates and average meterage rates, so cut the middleman out and went direct for a fairly big house builder in our area, whilst there was money in plastering up until start of 2009 when it went through floor. I then lost nearly everying id worked for had to remortgage etc as the firm id got in with, went bust. rates were then poor,and couldn't get continuity of site work, so I went van driving for 6 month, then came back and got into rendering etc etc.

combination of right time, knowing different people, having a bit of drive, putting money where your mouth is., and luck I guess.
Im not some massive big outfit like, theres only a handful of us, i just keep plodding on.

didn't want to be a spread knackered at 50 with nothing to show for it, so ive given it a go, that and generally have an interest in what you, im generally interested in rendering and products on the market and different techniques that come with it. some lads are happy to tick over or what ever, that's fine isn't it, but id just rather give it a push.

Full credit to you mate!

I always find it interesting to hear how people have grown there business and work ethics. Only 39 myself and pre kids and pre down turn had plenty/plenty of drive. Just seems to have been knocked out of me last few yrs.

Im hoping now kids are at school and now things seem to slowly be picking up I may have time yet/ the drive again to to grow business. Though the more you speak to people who do have multiple lads on the books and service big contracts I sometimes wonder would I want it?

All the best for 2014 mate!

Zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

Very, very, true mate!

Trust me fela your defo doing it the right way around!....Kids certainly drain your energy/motivation and financial resources!

Zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.