Working away from home

Members online

Clacton or Skegness it wasn't.

I found a couple of pics. The road to Skye is devastating.

Skye itself is s**t. A bit like Mars with some scrubby grass. If you're ever tempted, keep driving to Uig and get the boat to the islands.

The Man gave me whisky and haggis and Stornoway Black Pudding and square sausage and £1500 to come here.

View attachment 19015

The road to Skye.

View attachment 19016

The view from The Man's garden while I was drinking his whisky.

God's beautiful blue marble. God is an Englishman. He lives in Manchester, he speaks English, sets his watch to Greenwich Mean Time. He spends pounds and doesn't like Arabs very much. That's why 40,000 Taliban went to meet Allah for the loss of 454 British souls.

But that photo isn't artificially blue. It's not photoshopped. Our world really does look like that when we leave it alone.

And the trowel of adventure took me to see..

Last edited:
Clacton or Skegness it wasn't.

I found a couple of pics. The road to Skye is devastating.

Skye itself is s**t. A bit like Mars with some scrubby grass. If you're ever tempted, keep driving to Uig and get the boat to the islands.

The Man gave me whisky and haggis and Stornoway Black Pudding and square sausage and £1500 to come here.

View attachment 19015

The road to Skye.

View attachment 19016

The view from The Man's garden while I was drinking his whisky.

I love travelling :D

I love travelling :D

I haven't done nearly enough in my middle age/dotage.

My 30's have been decidedly dull.

I did a whole big pile in my late teens and 20's when the Queen picked up the tab.

Fighting wogs and such. Queen pays your travel and gives you pay and a shiny medal.

Must get more adventurous.

Last edited:
I haven't done nearly enough in my middle age/dotage.

My 30's have been decidedly dull.

I did a whole big pile in my late teens and 20's when the Queen picked up the tab.

Fighting wogs and such. Queen pays your travel and gives you pay and a shiny medal.

Must get more adventurous.

I dont think the most travelled people have travelled enough... I have travelled a fair amount then you pin point them on a map and I have not scratche the surface

I dont think the most travelled people have travelled enough... I have travelled a fair amount then you pin point them on a map and I have not scratche the surface

Dunno. I did most of Europe, Canada, America, Africa..... some real experiences.

But as you saw, I was missing experiences in my own back yard. Who knew that Scotland was such an experience?

It's about the experience.

Sometimes young men ask me, or people who weren't soldiers.... what's it really about?

Mostly it's about marching up and down hundreds of miles away from your girlfriend, worrying about a man who's been doing it even longer than you checking you've tied your shoelaces properly.

But you'll have the time of your life when bullets fly.

Doesn't mean you're gonna like it, but it'll be the time of your life. It will most likely be your defining lifetime experience.

Travel is same. Hours and hours, days or weeks, for a few snaps of a beautiful coastline or a pretty girl with a tan.

Life is a ballache and none of us are getting out alive so make the best of it.

Dunno. I did most of Europe, Canada, America, Africa..... some real experiences.

But as you saw, I was missing experiences in my own back yard. Who knew that Scotland was such an experience?

After we travelled for a year we came back to the UK and decided to cycle from John Ogroats to lands end as we realised we had not seen enough of the UK

After we travelled for a year we came back to the UK and decided to cycle from John Ogroats to lands end as we realised we had not seen enough of the UK

Must stop posting when I'm pissed.

UK has some fabulous parts. Scotland, A lot of the coast, The Isle Of Man where I grew up.

A lot of Lancashire is is gorgeous. I occasionally get the Stopper to Sheffield at 0550 - goes through West Yorkshire and makes going to work a real pleasure.

Used to deliver to one of the Tesco stores in the Lake District. Once or twice I got to park up for my tacho break at dawn and take the time to appreciate my surroundings.

We take it for granted. I once lived 200m from the British Museum. It's free, ffs, but it took me nearly a year to bother going to see.

Must stop posting when I'm pissed.

UK has some fabulous parts. Scotland, A lot of the coast, The Isle Of Man where I grew up.

A lot of Lancashire is is gorgeous. I occasionally get the Stopper to Sheffield at 0550 - goes through West Yorkshire and makes going to work a real pleasure.

Used to deliver to one of the Tesco stores in the Lake District. Once or twice I got to park up for my tacho break at dawn and take the time to appreciate my surroundings.

We take it for granted. I once lived 200m from the British Museum. It's free, ffs, but it took me nearly a year to bother going to see.

Worked over in Isle of Man a few years ago at port st Mary rendering an apartment block, got rained off one day and had a drive around. Nice place, went to a place where there was seals on a big rock. Can't remember what is was called, loads of people up there watching. Something you don't get to see in sunny Lancashire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it boat booked heading over next Wednesday will be staying in Beckenham. Looking forward to it. Anyone needs a hand give me a shout I would be more than happy to jump on board with a gang.

Worked over in Isle of Man a few years ago at port st Mary rendering an apartment block, got rained off one day and had a drive around. Nice place, went to a place where there was seals on a big rock. Can't remember what is was called, loads of people up there watching. Something you don't get to see in sunny Lancashire.

Calf of Man maybe?

That could be it. Wouldn't mind going back over there with the missus, hard work prising her away from the kids though.

IOM is a cracking place but it's small - even with a bit of inside knowledge, you'll do it in a week.

Then the next time you go, you'll struggle for anything new unless it's people. TT or grand Prix week.

That's why everyone on the island is a beer monster.

My brother used to live over there. He was over there doing some work and soon realised the women outnumbered the men by a lot! He was pulling every night he was out :bananas:
so jacked his job in and didn't come back for 3 years.
I went over once but should have gone over for the TT's :rayos: I've still never been

I always like make my bed when ever I check out of the digs.

Screenshot_2017-08-19-11-41-33.png