Would you skim this?

Olican

Private Member
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1502139805.458171.jpg

I'm going with no

Done one a couple of weeks ago put them on the wrong way didn't hear anything back so I'm sure it's still fine if in doubt pva it before skimming.

Lol it was an email enquiry I've just received, said I'd ask this lad Pete if it was cool to skim (y)
I wouldn't recommend to do it regularly as the paper is different on front to the back but funny enough I have just reskimmed a property built in 30 years ago that had every board dabbed on the back showing and delaminated only when they took the wallpaper off though,lasted 30 years ,

The boards were dabbed with skim also , tbh I had to make enquiries about that as I didn't know it was the way back then

I would all day long @Olican!!!

Would obviously advise that there not correct spec blabla.... But there's more chance of hell freezing over than them failing!!!

And if they do f**k em you've got your Picys and your email response to hand!!!

Just another case of summet we shouldn't really do but it happens every day!!!

I would and have done many times in the past mate. It caught a lot of old school builders out when they first changed the boards the other way round! Lol. I had to point out to them that it does actually say on the boards plaster other side only! Lol. I Done loads of loft conversions like it at the time. Just make sure u give them a good coat of p.v.a first and your be fine. (y)

So I assume the floor above is straight up plaster and probably gorgeous stuff. You always get the fun jobs Oli. (Same guy who made those columns right?)

:lol::risas:

I wouldn't recommend to do it regularly as the paper is different on front to the back but funny enough I have just reskimmed a property built in 30 years ago that had every board dabbed on the back showing and delaminated only when they took the wallpaper off though,lasted 30 years ,

The boards were dabbed with skim also , tbh I had to make enquiries about that as I didn't know it was the way back then

British gypsum run a course for dot and dab in the 60s

The grey paper can delaminate from the ivory paper where it overlaps when it gets wet, shouldn't be done. If the customer tells you to do it and you've got them to sign that it's their responsibility crack on, even though if it does go tits up it will be your fault.

Thanks for all replies,
This was reply I had from client

I was always told that when plastering the ceiling you fix the board decorative side up. If taping and decorating (dry lining) it’s obviously grey side up. Idea being you get better suction on the plaster to the board. I’ve just double checked and that is definitely the case. If you can price us based on cash payment, that would be great.

Thanks

Bags of board finish used to have "not to be used as a dry lining adhesive" written on them!
I'm not saying your boards weren't dabbed with finish, (done it myself) but it is worth mentioning that bonding compound used to be pink ... as was cove adhesive.

I'd make sure they know they are wrong lol.
Also the only possible problem I see is where the paper stops about an inch from the edge of board. I've seen the paper come away and bubble once the moisture of the gear goes on.
Worth going over with wide scrim and have a knife ready :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all replies,

I was always told that when plastering the ceiling you fix the board decorative side up. If taping and decorating (dry lining) it’s obviously grey side up. Idea being you get better suction on the plaster to the board. I’ve just double checked and that is definitely the case. If you can price us based on cash payment, that would be great.

Thanks
Cash N Dash

Old tommy Walsh always used to say that was the proper way to do it. One side for tape and joint and one side for skim.

Surly it says plaster other side only on the boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but I'd pva first :aburrido:

Why did you put them up the wrong way round?

We once (well, lots of times but this particular once) fixed the board as usual.

The supposed engineer - a young female - turned up and denounced our work. We'd fixed the whole house back to front, apparently.

Despite the fact that the boards said on them which f**k**g side to plaster.

Having none of it - even after she'd been told by the BI that the work was correct.

Made us PVA the lot.

I guess it's probably OK, just tell the customer that it's probably gonna be Ok but there'll be no refunds and any coming back will be billed.

Job's a good un.

Thanks for all replies,

Thanks
I see no issues there, if the cash is there I'm your man, would be my reply

Thined artex sealer and skim.No problem. Would not have even raised the question.. But that me. Done a few over the years where browning came off leaving back side of boards showing. Just sealed and skimmed.