3 coat skimming with a plastic float

Members online

When i first started plasteting i was shown a method on how to skim over artex and i have used it a few times now but frankly cant be arsed with it.

You lay on as you would then when you come ti second coat you bin your trowel and use a plastic render float and start fron the adjacent corner and start laying on this wil cross hatch the 2 coats #.

Then you start again as your first did but with the trowel again....

It did.make it mega flat but was a lot of work...

Anybody else been shown this way before?

When i first started plasteting i was shown a method on how to skim over artex and i have used it a few times now but frankly cant be arsed with it.

You lay on as you would then when you come ti second coat you bin your trowel and use a plastic render float and start fron the adjacent corner and start laying on this wil cross hatch the 2 coats #.

Yes we were told to do it years ago but it takes to long even though the finish is pucka people aren’t prepared to pay for it. We also did some ceilings over board in a school back in the late eighties and the clerk of works wanted the first coat put on then when it picked up he wanted it scratched with a scratcher before the top coat went on just to get his five millimetres of skim on the board, our boss phoned bg and they said yes’m I’ve never heard of it before or since made it a mother’s to trowel up too

goldtrowel methods....

Zombie mix is ideal first coat on thicker patterns but you need to be patient and let it pull right in before a slightly thicker than normal skim coat, then just finish with your carbon.Better on warmer days but in winter I pull the speedskim (first plastic grey one) across the zombie mix to open it up and help set quicker.

I don't expect anyone else to came up with idea like this apart from @Danny , even Vincey is not that brave to bin a trowel on every ceiling. I do remember your last picture with the trowels n here and can honestly say you haven't done any ceilings lately :p:D

I don't expect anyone else to came up with idea like this apart from @Danny , even Vincey is not that brave to bin a trowel on every ceiling. I do remember your last picture with the trowels n here and can honestly say you haven't done any ceilings lately :p:D

I have done about 6 in the last 8 week's and doing one ceiling that is made of lots of panels at the moment.... well i am sat having a dump in the airport at the moment :)
20180420_154602.jpg

Talking of artex overskim I tried something the other day, got a putz sponge float that the sponge has come off ( so basically it’s just the plastic, very stiff ) , when first coat slightly firming ran it around edge of coving , brilliant for creating the new edge line at the coving if you ever have chance to try

Talking of artex overskim I tried something the other day, got a putz sponge float that the sponge has come off ( so basically it’s just the plastic, very stiff ) , when first coat slightly firming ran it around edge of coving , brilliant for creating the new edge line at the coving if you ever have chance to try
I am finishing my internal corners with putz;)
It has a black stiff rubber or foam, don’t know what to call it, pad.

years ago on high class work it was 3 coats of Sirapite on sand and cement backing coat. first coat trowel, second coat wood float, third coat trowel. this method gave the impression that the wall had been cross grained but was a faster way to reach the required finish.

years ago on high class work it was 3 coats of Sirapite on sand and cement backing coat. first coat trowel, second coat wood float, third coat trowel. this method gave the impression that the wall had been cross grained but was a faster way to reach the required finish.
I think we might have had the same sort of training...........moons ago I’ve done loads as you describe...

I think we might have had the same sort of training...........moons ago I’ve done loads as you describe...

i remember when multi finish was first introduced we were told if you want to put a float over it do it in the very early stages.

You been dabbling with the sponge float then mate?

You been dabbling with the sponge float then mate?
No just the float plastic , the orange sponge came off so I sanded the base of it to get glue off and wondered what it would be like on skim , then on one artex over skim coving was crap all over place so tried it and came out sweet , just going round the edges only followed the cove rather then pulling away from coving

No just the float plastic , the orange sponge came off so I sanded the base of it to get glue off and wondered what it would be like on skim , then on one artex over skim coving was crap all over place so tried it and came out sweet , just going round the edges only followed the cove rather then pulling away from coving
I made a devil float from an old ox sponge float the sponge obviously fell off so I just fired some screws through it for scratching hardwall, save damaging my decent rendering floats.

I remember the old boys on site in the early 80's doing trowel, float trowel with skim. Had me doing it and it was ok but time consuming so never used it much after going on my own.

I just seal well and allow to dry as soft artex will cause problems. Bang on a think multi. Then spatz. Bang on a thinner multi. Spatz. Must of done 100+ ceilings with no problems. It's all in the sealer imo. Modern artex 1995 - 2018 has no real structure. It can go soft when emulsion or when Pva is applied and if you get straight on it after sealing don't be surprised if you get trouble. IMO. That's why I used artex sealer but lately I use blue grit. The polymer in the blue grit holds the wet plaster and stops artex going soft which gives trouble free skimming. Zombie mix helps to. As for plastic blades. Used caulker for 20 years and make my own large ones that gather dust now. I used to get laughed at using plastic blades. Not now though however I've gone back to metal spatz now. Hardly use plastic, go figure

Last edited:
@ wayners the thread isnt about covering artex its about 3 coat skimming
Yeah.. Sorry.. I used to 3 coat think artex. Mix a thick and thin mix at the same time. 1 thick. Then the thin. Then a fresh mix to top off. Zombie is the answer. I don't think it's very good 3 mix skim

Yeah.. Sorry.. I used to 3 coat think artex. Mix a thick and thin mix at the same time. 1 thick. Then the thin. Then a fresh mix to top off. Zombie is the answer. I don't think it's very good 3 mix skim
no mate this was done on all plasterboard and sand and cement floating years ago

I was taught three coat skimming work as well (tft) back in the 80's. As somebody mentioned, not a lot of call or spec for it these days. I remember using a squash court material back then called Produrite. Jog any memories?. The spec for that was three skim coats to keep it true and flat, or else you'd have a lot of pissed off squash players.!

This must be where it originated from