A couple of tips needed for using sponge float

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry4

Hi was thinking of trying the sponge float out on a wall in spare room .Not sure i have the info right.

I was gonna put 2 coats on .put first coat on ,flatten out then get second coat on flatten out with plazzi float ,wait till it's just going off then use sponge float ..is this right ?? also do i need to spray all the wall at once then use the sponge float and then trowel off ? do you use the sponge float like you would for trowling on or do you go in a figure of 8 motion with it ? Never used one but would be grateful if someone could help me out.Read through some of the topics but could not find all my answers.

Thanks

Baz

Would be using muti fin ,first coat then second coat .Thought you could use sponge after second coat or could i use a thick one coat and use sponge .Just wanting to try it out thats all.

What you describe is diy plastering rather than skilled skimming, Most qualified would apply the first coat and let it pull in a bit(till it is hard enough that it does not leave lines when troweled but not gone off) the second coat is a fresh mix and is then applied, the second coat is about half the thickness of the first, put it on nice and flat, then trowel it in as it drys, use a brush with water as it drys in for line free troweling , when its fully dry you can give it a hard dry trowel without water. Re the sponge you can use it if you like once the second coat has starting to dry( I dont) then trowel it again.. I am completely against one coat skimming but some do it...

What you describe is diy plastering rather than skilled skimming, Most qualified would apply the first coat and let it pull in a bit(till it is hard enough that it does not leave lines when troweled but not gone off) the second coat is a fresh mix and is then applied, the second coat is about half the thickness of the first, put it on nice and flat, then trowel it in as it drys, use a brush with water as it drys in for line free troweling , when its fully dry you can give it a hard dry trowel without water. Re the sponge you can use it if you like once the second coat has starting to dry( I dont) then trowel it again.. I am completely against one coat skimming but some do it...
It's my own wall i'm trying ..Will wait for spunky and get some tips.Curious that's all to see how it looks using it.

why would you trowel a dry wall john whats it do

why would you trowel a dry wall john whats it do
The last trowel I do on plaster walls or ceilings is'a dry trowel' I always have done it to check the plaster to make sure there are no lines or blemishes, true it is that over trowelling is not good but I think I have my work fairly balanced, one of those things that is easier to show on site than write here..

Ignore John he can't do it lol, fill you're joints and beads out lay a coat on let it pick up spray it sponge it then trowel it up piece of peeeeeeeeeeeee

I use a sponge and have done for 10 years now, people who diss the sponge are people who done know how to use it properly! Tip is if you use a marshaltown sponge break it in on a few walls first before using it on a ceiling or your getting splattered!, in my opinion if you cant use the sponge what would you do on barret estates etc were knauf plaster is somtimes used???

I use a sponge all the time around my balls and the crack of my ass when in the shower they come up a treat. PS, don't tell the misses as its the one she uses on her face.:RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.