Advice on cracks

Stim

Hi,

Looking for some advice on some work that I've had carried out recently. I'm not knowledgeable about plastering so have some patience with me.

We've had a local plastering firm come out for us a couple of times to do some work on our house. It's a late 70s house and most of it had been wall papered, so after having removed it the guys have come in to re-skim a lot of it. They seemed to do all the due diligence with screwing up the existing boards and taping up the joints. Whilst the work they've done is tidy, we had a few cracks come through maybe a few weeks after we painted. We spoke to the plasterer at the time and we were told that "it just happens sometimes and there's nothing you can really do to stop it." The work left was 10x better than it was previously so we didn't really follow it up and accepted it.

We had the plasterers back to do another room but the existing ceiling wasn't great - there were large cracks between the boards and so we asked for their advice on whether or not it would need reboarding. They said it would benefit from it, and explained that they would overboard and re-skim. Thinking that this would solve our issue, the chaps came along last week to do the work and the plaster has now pretty much dried. The only issue being now that between the new boards they've put up, we're also seeing cracks come through. I dropped them a text to say we'd had some cracks and the response I've been given was that "They'd be very surprised if there were cracks, they are likely to be the lines of the joints of the boards that show when drying." A this point I'm questioning my definition of a crack but what I'm seeing fits the bill..

They said to paint it and if there were still issues, they would re-do it.

They've not seen the result of the work in itself, but before I go back to them I just want to have some more opinions on whether or not this is acceptable. Also not keen on wasting a tub of paint if it's not the right thing to do.

First picture with the white paint was their previous work in another room - large cracks down the middle of the ceiling where they had just done a skim.

The remaining pictures with the bare plaster are from the work done recently where the over boarding has been done.

In a nutshell, we just want to know whether we need to go back to them or just fill it and move on.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240304_084351.jpg
    20240304_084351.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20240304_080727.jpg
    20240304_080727.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • 20240304_075029.jpg
    20240304_075029.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20240304_080610.jpg