Advice on speed skim

Springy18

Hey all,

Looking for a little bit of advice on skimming. I run a small damp proofing company in the Midlands. Now since I went on my own I have decided to include full overskims on majority of my jobs - Purley on the facts it makes the job look better and if allowed to dry properly the joining render line will not be visible.

Now I've never had to throw walls on before I've always skimmed a meter high. My skimming has really improved over the past 12 months but the quantities I can put on at once is still lacking a little. Anything more than two average size terrace house walls and I'm struggling.

So my question is would investing in a speedskim set and spending time learning how to use it properly be worth it or is it another set of teleshopping items that look easy to use and when you get them you cannot work it out.

Any input on this is appreciated as I've never used the stuff before but the videos make it look easy.

Before all the wild claims and bullshit come along and to save my mate @gps from writing this, the speed skim or any other tool will not teach you how to plaster. Try not look for a quick fix just plenty of practice and a decent trowel and patience is all you need oh and have a read over old posts.

Before all the wild claims and bullshit come along and to save my mate @gps from writing this, the speed skim or any other tool will not teach you how to plaster. Try not look for a quick fix just plenty of practice and a decent trowel and patience is all you need oh and have a read over old posts.

Agree with flynny however there's no harm in buying the kit, because they do have theyre benefits. Next you'll be buying the eze spat thou I can't seem to get the hang of this one. Either end up using s**t loads of water or getting drag marks when only using a little.

I think you just need to up your speed laying on, speedskim is a great tool but you have to hit it before the plaster starts taking up. try laying one wall on first then hitting that with the speedy before starting on the next wall

Have to say I love my speedskim. BUT. It doesn't make you quicker. I reckon it makes your job easier on your bones though. Also, on a reskim, 2 walls is enough. Like flynnyman says, the only way to get quicker is to practice.

Have you ever used a Speedskim? Come on be honest, simple question

Kelly Anne Conway that's her name
IMG_2802.JPG

Brilliant

I should of wrote USED in capitals, lol you remind of that woman Donald's Trumps spokes person, she never actually answered the actual question :birra:
Yeh, if you would of wrote USED in capitals that would of changed the question? I answered the question you asked if there is another question you meant to ask ask it don't hijack the thread.

Hey all,

Looking for a little bit of advice on skimming. I run a small damp proofing company in the Midlands. Now since I went on my own I have decided to include full overskims on majority of my jobs - Purley on the facts it makes the job look better and if allowed to dry properly the joining render line will not be visible.

Now I've never had to throw walls on before I've always skimmed a meter high. My skimming has really improved over the past 12 months but the quantities I can put on at once is still lacking a little. Anything more than two average size terrace house walls and I'm struggling.

So my question is would investing in a speedskim set and spending time learning how to use it properly be worth it or is it another set of teleshopping items that look easy to use and when you get them you cannot work it out.

Any input on this is appreciated as I've never used the stuff before but the videos make it look easy.
Where abouts in Nottingham you based ?
I'd be happy to have you on a few of my jobs show you how we use Speedskim tbh it's better to use it for real rather than try and explain technique in writing,
It will be an adjustment from traditional hand held troweling but imo far more productive and drastically better for the body in long run.

Hey all,

Sorry I can't take this serious, if we was talking about investing 5-6k on a machine fair enough, but your asking if it's worth investing literally a few quid on a speed skim lol FFS.

But being serious you will only need a 600, anything else is a pain in domestics with sockets and switches everywhere.

I use a Refina spat, same idea as speedskim. On larger areas it saves me time flattening the plaster. So personally I believe it can make you a bit quicker.

Sorry I can't take this serious, if we was talking about investing 5-6k on a machine fair enough, but your asking if it's worth investing literally a few quid on a speed skim lol FFS.

But being serious you will only need a 600, anything else is a pain in domestics with sockets and switches everywhere.

600 is perfect for domestics , I flatten my mates hit too as it's so quick

i think the southeners put their speedskims down there knickers to make there todgers look bigger.

and the northen lads use theirs to beat the wife.

I'd be happy to have you on a few of my jobs show you how we use Speedskim tbh it's better to use it for real rather than try and explain technique in writing,
It will be an adjustment from traditional hand held troweling but imo far more productive and drastically better for the body in long run.
You've been warned about the grooming this is a final warning Coz I've had a few messages from concerned parents.

You've been warned about the grooming this is a final warning Coz I've had a few messages from concerned parents.
Flynny going to have to get his "where he touched me" doll out again

Well said mate, couldn't agree more!

I like to think I'm a competent plasterer. 8 years under my belt and I've only just turned 24.
Skimming isn't a problem for me, one wall or one wall and a fireplace is something I'm more than comfortable with but as I stay I've not had to throw walls on behind and the guy who taught me plastering wasn't the best. Only ever dome meter high and only been doing full walls for around 12 months.

What I'm hoping to find out from this is if I could put two walls on ( standard size) with one mix and then flatten it with speedskim if that makes sense.

I think you just need to up your speed laying on, speedskim is a great tool but you have to hit it before the plaster starts taking up. try laying one wall on first then hitting that with the speedy before starting on the next wall

I've been told rolling mix's would suit me better the only issue is I'm the only plasterer on my firm. Looking to expand but too many bad habits with most of the people I've tried out.

Got no one to show me the ropes of you get me.

I've been told rolling mix's would suit me better the only issue is I'm the only plasterer on my firm. Looking to expand but too many bad habits with most of the people I've tried out.

Got no one to show me the ropes of you get me.

Haha fair point. I would just rather not bother if it isn't going to help me. Which saves me time more than anything. Wasn't coming at it from a costs perspective.

I'm from Leicester but my company covers the Midland ( Currently) so travelling isn't a problem for me at all.
That would be great if you wouldn't mind. More than happy to come see a demo, I think once I've seen how to use it properly in person I'd be ok. Ive seen one demo before but the guy used it late on to trowell up the wall. I was under the impression they are used as the flattener.

I like to think I'm a competent plasterer. 8 years under my belt and I've only just turned 24.
Skimming isn't a problem for me, one wall or one wall and a fireplace is something I'm more than comfortable with but as I stay I've not had to throw walls on behind and the guy who taught me plastering wasn't the best. Only ever dome meter high and only been doing full walls for around 12 months.

What I'm hoping to find out from this is if I could put two walls on ( standard size) with one mix and then flatten it with speedskim if that makes sense.
You might be competent with a trowel and handboard but your questions and experience says different, enjoy your 2 minute demo with @Vincey it's the rest of the day you should worry about :)

I'm from Leicester but my company covers the Midland ( Currently) so travelling isn't a problem for me at all.
That would be great if you wouldn't mind. More than happy to come see a demo, I think once I've seen how to use it properly in person I'd be ok. Ive seen one demo before but the guy used it late on to trowell up the wall. I was under the impression they are used as the flattener.

Are you kidding us lol ? How to use it properly, FFS it's not rocket science