afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSpoon85

hello to everyone, new person saying hello :cool:
i had a brief read last night after a few in the pub so ive completely forgot what i read but i do remember it was interesting enough to come back online today and register so it must be a good site ;)
ive been learning to plaster at college since september 07, so not too long really, ive done a couple of jobs for people (chasing) and i did a job today for a neighbour as they need a quick sale and punters keep pointing out the flakey bits and holes, so i filled about 3 bigish holes, scraped back the flakey paintwork bonded and skimmed an area below the stairs (very dark and needed a torch to see it properly - must invest in a spot lamp) this was about.. 30 inch x 30 inch then there was the upper ceiling type part of the lounge window, about 7 inch x 50 inch, which also needed the flakey crap scraping off and a coat of bonding then skimming ( i opted for bonding as i didnt have much faith in PVA for this job.. (damp problem) which i add the neighbour knew all about the damp he just wanted a cheap bodge job just to sell the house really, not right but meh each to their own. problem is tho.. this took me 5 and a half hours from arriving, laying out dust sheets blah blah, to completely tidying up and loading the van back up!! cant believe how long it took, i was expecting it to be a 2 hour job, maybe i was too cautious about making a mess... or maybe if i had of PVA'd instead of using bonding... but i would of had to use bonding or hardwall to fill the holes anyway... :-/ argh i dunno... any thoughts/comments welcome :)

alrite mate sometimes little jobs can b more of an arse on than big jobs thats why most plasterers will have a set price of 100 to 150 a day so its worth there while gettin out of bed to do it so never undercut yourself thats sumthing a did at first n wish a hadnt now cos a cud of made lots more money ::)

Hello there mate! ;)Jobs like that just need a bit of pva then skimmed,or the holes could be filled the day before with bonding,then come back next day pva then skim.( if there any damp there mate dont use bonding at all it chance it will fall back off )The bonding will hold the skim back if not hard before skimming.Hope this helps you!

i waited about for ages for the bonding to firm up, even took a trip across the road to asda, hopefully it was long enough... as for doing small jobs.. i dont mind doing them too much, its all extra practice for me really and im earning a small ammount while doing it, once i feel more confident in my work ill increase my prices.

think ill use PVA next time.. just that last time i used it it didnt weel to bond very well... maybe because i didnt let the pva dry enough first or maybe i didnt clean the background thoroughly enough first (painted wall...come to think of it i just gave it a wipe with a cloth :-/) meh

We almost always knock the bonding up with dirty water, the dirtier the water the quicker it sets. It does affect the impact strength of the bonding so be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.