Air vent

Members online

Hillsy

Do I block it up or leave it? 1930s house, solid walls throughout. I've come across these vents many times but always recommend to leave them. Windows are all double glazed with windows that I can leave open slighlty so why the need to keep it! Thoughts? Cheers

Attachments

• 20191215_085344.jpg
    20191215_085344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 912
Do I block it up or leave it? 1930s house, solid walls throughout. I've come across these vents many times but always recommend to leave them. Windows are all double glazed with windows that I can leave open slighlty so why the need to keep it! Thoughts? Cheers
No longer needed. They were put in houses that didn't have double glazing or decent heating systems so would of been damp in the air. I'm assuming the house now has central heating and decent double glazing so they're now completely redundant.

Yes it's my house mate. That's exactly what I was thinking, central heating and double glazed windows there's no point in keeping it.
Nope you're just letting alot of cold air in for no reason. As you say, worst case if there's even the slightest sign of damp in the house in a year or 2, leave the windows on vent. I can't any reason why there would be though.

Make it bigger , come down another three courses , nice sky light , trickle vent , no glazing frame as such just small strips of batten to hold £20 double glazing unit

They were used when old homes had open fires and are still needed if you have a gas fire in the room.
If not bin it .

You can fit a open or shut vent over it. Leave it open in summer and when you can in winter. Vents the house.
But what's the need to vent a nice warm house? If you want to vent the house in summer then leave a window on the latch. I don't get the need to have a hole in your wall

I’ve worked in all ages of houses and when find these blocked up I tell customers am gonna put it back to how it originally was my logic is for example the houses of built 1930 had a better understanding of there buildings than anything you read on internet in 2020

I’ve worked in all ages of houses and when find these blocked up I tell customers am gonna put it back to how it originally was my logic is for example the houses of built 1930 had a better understanding of there buildings than anything you read on internet in 2020
so take out the double glazing and central heating etc?

But what's the need to vent a nice warm house? If you want to vent the house in summer then leave a window on the latch. I don't get the need to have a hole in your wall

Houses are getting sealed up so not only stale air but you also have moisture being created by steam, breathing, clothes drying etc. This moisture has nowhere to go and will find a cold spot to condense on. An air vent(s) will wick away the moisture and freshen up the air quality.

leaving a window open even locked is an invitation to a burglar.

Fitting a Envirovent is a good alternative.